Dogs from All 50 States and More Than 50 Countries
Vie for $225,000 in Cash and Prizes
AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Broadcast
on ABC Television Network – Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013
NEW YORK, NY (November 30, 2012) –Thousands of dogs will compete over five days in a variety of world-class dog sporting competitions on December 12-16, 2012 in Orlando, Florida at the Orange County Convention Center. This spectacular dog celebration tops all other dog events in the nation with over 15,500 combined entries.
Dogs will compete under one roof in the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, Eukanuba World Challenge, theAKC Agility Invitational, the AKC National Juniors Agility Competition, the AKC National Obedience Invitational, theAKC National Juniors Obedience Competition, the AKC Junior Showmanship Finals, and the Orlando Cluster of theSpace Coast Kennel Club of Palm Bay, the Brevard Kennel Club and the Central Florida Kennel Club dog shows. Learn more at akc.org/aenc.
“The annual AKC/Eukanuba National Championship brings together all dog lovers in a way no other series of dog events does, and we’re happy to welcome everyone to Orlando,” said Show Chairman Ron Menaker. “Beyond the competitions be sure to catch the action with AKC Meet the Breeds®, dock diving dogs, celebrity dog appearances, and more. This event showcases the best there is in dog fun and excitement.”
New this year:
Celebrate Dogs!: In addition to the competitions taking place over the weekend, AKC and Eukanuba are inviting the dog-loving public to the nation’s largest canine celebration, Celebrate Dogs!. Open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday, Celebrate Dogs! will feature dozens of dog-centric activities like the Eukanuba SuperDogs®, AKC Meet the Breeds® booths, DockDogs®, Eukanuba Extreme Soccer Dogs, appearances by celebrity dogs and a canine shopping mall with holiday gifts for dog lovers! Learn more here.
Celebrity Dogs: Visitors will be able to catch special performances by canine super stars The Olate Dogs, winners of the most recent season of “America’s Got Talent.” In addition, Hollywood dog celebrities Stella from “Modern Family” and Yakult from “Suburgatory,” as well as Standard Poodle “London,” the 2011 AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Best in Show winner, will make special appearances at the event.
Best of Breed Video Streaming: Highlights from the daytime Best of Breed judging and the Bred-By-Exhibitor groups will be video streamed by Bowtie, Inc. at www.dogchannel.com. The evening events will be live streamed onUstream. A link to both streams will be available on akc.org.
AKC/EUKANUBA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BY THE NUMBERS
- · 175 AKC recognized breeds are entered to compete.
- · 4,181 entries in the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship
- · The largest entries include:
o 93 Golden Retrievers
o 75 French Bulldogs
o 75 Labrador Retrievers
o 69 Australian Shepherds
o 63 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
o 61 Rottweilers
o 56 Chinese Cresteds
o 55 Boston Terriers
o 55 Papillons
o 123 Miscellaneous dogs entered, representing all 16 Miscellaneous breeds: Azawakh, BelgianLaekenois, Bergamasco, Boerboel, Chinook, Cirneco dell’Etna, Coton de Tulear, Dogo Argentino, Miniature American Shepherd, Peruvian Inca Orchid, Portuguese Podengo Pequeno, Pumi, Rat Terrier,Sloughi, Spanish Water Dog and Wirehaired Vizsla.
- · The newest breeds to compete include:
o 14 Russell Terriers
o 5 Treeing Walker Coonhounds
- · AKC Meet the Breeds® will feature more than 150 breeds at decorated booths staffed by experts. (Sat. & Sun. from 10 am to 4 pm)
- · By group, entry totals are: Sporting – 726; Hound – 545; Working – 627; Terrier – 504; Toy – 641; Non-Sporting – 530, Herding – 485 and Miscellaneous – 123
- · Dogs from 42 countries will compete in the Eukanuba World Challenge including Mexico, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. The Eukanuba World Challenge is a one-of-a-kind event offering top dogs from around the world, and the winner of the Eukanuba Breeders’ Stakes, the opportunity to compete for the title of “Eukanuba World Challenge Champion” and a total of $15,000 in prize money.
- · Judge Mr. Edd E. Bivin of Fort Worth, Texas will select the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Best in Show (BIS) winner. The owner(s) of the BIS winner will receive more than $50,000 while the breeder(s) of the Best in Show winner will be awarded $15,000.
- · Mrs. Patricia V. Trotter of Carmel, California will select Best Bred-By Exhibitor in Show from among 1,210 dogs (29% of the total entry) entered in the Bred-by-Exhibitor (dogs being shown by their owner/breeder) competition, who will be eligible to win the $15,000 cash prize.
- · 166 youngsters, ages 9-17, who have met high academic standards and qualification criteria based on year-round competition, will compete in Junior Showmanship.
AGILITY AND OBEDIENCE INVITATIONALS BY THE NUMBERS
- · 618 entries in the AKC Agility Invitational – 156 breeds from 45 states. Eukanuba and J & J Dog are proud sponsors of the AKC Agility Invitational.
- · 127 entries in the AKC National Obedience Invitational – 49 breeds from 33 states and Canada.Eukanuba and J & J Dog are proud sponsors of the AKC National Obedience Invitational.
- · 73 Juniors competing at the AKC National Juniors Agility Competition on Friday, Dec. 14th (8 am to 11 am).
- · 46 Juniors competing at the AKC National Juniors Obedience Competition on Saturday, Dec. 15th (8 am to 3 pm).
- · 12 All-American Dogs competing in Agility and 6 in Obedience.
To purchase tickets and get more information about the show visit www.akc.org/aenc. To receive daily updates and show results via Facebook, visit www.facebook.com/aenc and www.facebook.com/
# # #
The American Kennel Club (AKC), founded in 1884, maintains the largest registry of purebred dogs in the world. Its rules and regulations govern more than 20,000 canine competitions each year. For more information, visit www.akc.org.
Eukanuba offers the most complete food lineup, delivering nutrition that is customized by breed and breed size as well as health and performance requirements. Eukanuba is a division of Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG), and you can visit us on the Web at http://www.eukanuba.com or visit Iams athttp://www.Iams.com.
Lisa Peterson Victoria Seiler
Director of Communications Associate Manager, External Relations
American Kennel Club Eukanuba
(212) 696-8228 (513) 622-2967