Breaking News         Northestern Indiana KC     10/29/2014     Best In Show Judge: Mr. Jamie Hubbard     Best In Show: GCH Claircreek Impression De Matisse     Brandon Florida KC     10/26/2014     Best In Show Judge: Frank Washabaugh     Best In Show: GCH Cragsmoor Good Time Charlie     Delaware Ohio KC (2)     10/26/2014     Best In Show Judge: Carol S. Brown     Best In Show: GCH Foxfire Full Force Gale     Middleburg KC (2)     10/26/2014     Best In Show Judge: Richard Wm. Powell     Best In Show: GCH A Feiner Eros     Riverhead KC     10/26/2014     Best In Show Judge: Sharon R. Lyons     Best In Show: GCH Claircreek Impression De Matisse     AKC Statement on Ms. Lin Allen (AKA Hackney) and Bleu Moon Cattle Dogs Halloween Photo Contest Double Murder Tragedy Shakes the Dog World, & KC Legacy Fund Ignored New Proposed Judges Approval Process As the Wheels Turn

Crufts’ Campaign Against the Purebred Dog

Westminster BIS winner, the Pekingese, GCH CH PalaceGarden Malachy

I am an admirer of most things British. I love tweeds, tea time, & cottage gardens, so it is no wonder that I am fascinated by Crufts. I have been up since the early AM awaiting results. While looking through today’s results, I came across something curious. There was no Best of Breed awarded in Bulldogs or Pekingese. Now, I found it unlikely that the judges were not being able to find a worthy representative for two breeds in which the English have long excelled, especially at a show where there are more than 22,000 dogs in the regular classes.

The Peke, that was the breed winner was PalaceGarden Bianca, who was awarded the Bitch Challenge Certificate. If the kennel name is familiar, it’s because Bianca was bred and is owned by John & Jean Smith, the breeders of this year’s Westminster Best In Show winner, GCH CH PalaceGarden Malachy. It seems that Bianca failed the now required veterinarian health check, having been found to exhibit “visible signs of problems due to conditions that affect their health or welfare.” The same fate was shared by the Bulldog, Mellowmood One In A Million.

The health certification process was put in place after the Kennel Club came under fire in 2008 after the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) aired an inflammatory piece, Pedigreed Dogs Exposed, which claimed that many pure bred dogs were systematically bred to be unhealthy. As a result the BBC booted the Crufts broadcast from its schedule and the British Club was forced to enter into a compromise with the devil.

Looty, the first Pekingese dog in the West, brought by Captain Dunne, 99th Regiment, from Yuanming Yuan, the Summer Palace near Beijing, as a gift for Queen Victoria in April 1861, is photographed having a rest on a chair in 1865. The Royal Collection © 2009, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

The Kennel Club now separates out 15 of the over 200 breeds at Crufts for special veterinarian certification after being selected as Best Of Breed. The targeted breeds are the Basset Hound, Bloodhound, Bulldog, Chow Chow, Clumber Spaniel, Dogue De Bordeaux, German Shepherd Dog, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Pekingese, Shar Pei, St Bernard, French Bulldog, Pug and Chinese Crested.   Anyone with a modicum of knowledge about these breeds knows that there are many other similar breeds which are likely to be included in future pogroms. Now here is the real rub. It is the vet, who may or may not have ever bred a litter in his/her life, who makes the determination as to whether the Breed winner is worthy of the award, not the judge. I’ll hold to a future post the discussion of how veterinary students are being brainwashed today, but many of you have already run across vets who are not sympathetic to our hobby.

Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, said: “We are determined to ensure that the show ring is a positive force for CHANGE and that we help to move breeds forward by only rewarding the healthiest examples of a breed.” (emphasis added). Well, Ms Kisko here is a bulletin for you. The Pekingese breed is millennia older than any of your most revered British institutions. What gives you the right to CHANGE the interpretation of what the breed should be from what ancient Emperors and dog fanciers gave us. I promise you, you will not succeed. The Pekingese breed will survive…much longer than your Kennel Club. And that’s today’s Back Story.

Billy Wheeler has been attending dog shows as a spectator and exhibitor for over 40 years. Billy is the man behind the popular Dog Show Poop. He is a retired management consultant who has advised multiple organizations affiliated with the AKC and the Cat Fanciers Association on business management, long range planning, customer service, and legislative matters. After 25 years of living in the big cities of New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC, he now resides in his hometown of Memphis TN with his wife, Brenda, her Toy Poodle and his Cairn, Scottie, & IG. When he is not blogging, Billy can be found in the kitchen cooking, and listening to opera.
Comments
  • Trish March 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM

You hit the nail completely on the head!!! It should be noted that no form of medical tool was to be used to complete the visual inspection yet both dogs had torches shined in thier eyes and were both accused of having the same undetectable eye injury but it was not photographically documented as proof.

The supposed injuries could not be deemed genetic in origin and in the case of Ch Mellowmood On in Million, she had passed her health clearances in December of 2011. She has also garnered 20 cc’s as well as the coveted Bulldog of the Year title in 2011 and the Best In Show title in the Bulldog Inc show. Bulldoggers worldwide are united against this ruling!

• Renee' Harris March 9, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Was this vet an Eye Specialist? If not, and if I was one of the owners of the dogs who got booted, I would try to gather all the owners together and bring massive lawsuits against the vet AND the Kennel Club. This is beyond belief!! They must be dancing at PETA headquarters, to say nothing of the Humane Society of the United States!!

• A March 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM

No he was a cardiologist and ultrasound specialist. And he was even a canine vet. Nor was the other appointed vet, who is an equine specialist.

• A March 9, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Suppose to have wrote wasn’t

• MPB March 9, 2012 at 2:24 AM

A disgraceful situation – clearly if the examining vet was unable to follow the criteria set out for the examination of the dogs then the examination is void. Any dog can sustain an injury – if indeed such an injury exists and can be seen by a torch – it is not hereditory and it clearly did not impede the health and well being of the dog.It was obviously a political decision and clearly the vet wanted to make a point. Obviously this vet thought that they knew better then the vets who provided the clear health certificates.

• Gizmacchio March 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Absolutely ridiculous! Surely this can/will be contested?

• I do believe it should be contested and this is redicoulous.. to say the least.. March 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM

It should be contested.. unreal at the audacity of defamming good kennels like you have done..

• Alison March 8, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Absolutely disgusting ! the Kennel Club took 15k from the Bulldog ring alone in entry fees then trashed the entire breed. If health checks are needed then check every single dog on entry and lets not have any more breeds singled out for these “staged” events aimed at getting the BBC and Jemima Harrison off the KC’s back ! With all the money the KC make from these breeds the very least they should do is ‘grow a pair’ and start fighting our corner instead of cowering in it and hoping the BBC and Jemima will go away if they throw a breed or two to the wolves !

• Chris March 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I disagree. Many of the dogs listed have been bred into near oblivion because judges keep putting up structurally unsound dogs. Will a few slip through this process? Sure. Perhaps this will mean that in the future bulldogs will be able to give birth naturally and German Shepherd Dogs will not look like freaks of nature.

Unscrupulous breeders and judges have brought this upon themselves. The best of the best will adapt. Mistakes will be made. This is a good policy that should be tweaked as needed and not totally repealed.

• A March 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

The bulldog had all her health certificates/testing. And in fact had a CURRENT clear eye certification which was done in December 2011.

She is also not exaggerated, but a very moderate bulldog with excellent movement (not inhibited at all), and breathes just fine. She is an amazing example of the breed.

The vet directly disobeyed the KC’s rule that they were not suppose to use any devices, they used a torch/flashlight to show a spot in her eye which could have come from anything and is not a reflection on the breed nor on her health.

I assume the peke fell to the same kind of politics.

• Paluka March 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Really? Where? Because when I look up the name on the OFFA website, it doesn’t show up at all. Where are these supposed health clearances? Besides, health defects, especially of the eye, can show up at anytime. They may get a CERF one year and not the next.

• Kathy March 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the above comment, but why would the name of a British dog appear on the OFA’s website?

• Carolyn March 10, 2012 at 7:25 AM

You are correct. It annoys me to no end breeders in my breed who CERF test and breed young. Many eye issues don’t show up till after 4 years of age when looking at the eye. But these breeders have retired their bitches by then…

I don’t see how a flashlight is bad… the lighting is so dim, trying to examine a dog without one would be a farce. I am not saying its good or bad to have a non specialist calling an eye issue, but to complain about a flashlight is silly.

Over all I think its a hugely positive step, and yes I am a breeder.

• Debbie March 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Their own rules for the vet inspections stated that the vets had to examine the dogs without any tools, so that they would be seeing the same things that the judges would see. So shining a torch in the eye violated their own rules for the vet inspection procedures. And the Peke was DQ’d for not being able to breath.

• BernerMom March 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Debbie wrote:

“And the Peke was DQ’d for not being able to breath”

Since you were there at the exam, have first hand knowledge that “the Peke was DQ’d for not being able to breath(sic)” that must have been a sad moment for you as you saw an animal die, no? Terrible day, that.

Oh, wait. The Peke *didn’t* die because the Peke *is* able to breathe and very efficiently. The official comment was a small “blemish” on an eye, found by an illegal torch. They wrote their rules, I guess someone forgot to give the non-Canine vet a printout of those rules.

• Erika Moureau March 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

If dogs are subject to veterinary inspection, then all dogs entered should be examined BEFORE they compete, not after. And they should be examined by more than one single vet.

• steven March 9, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Used to be done when shows were numerically smaller, and done at cat shows , but for 28,000 dogs over 4 days ..logistically impossible.

• kirsten March 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM

i dont think its unfair to require proof that the dog is healthy, viable, and fit . i do agree it should be done PRIOR to entry in the class. why wait until a dog has won before having them examined? it should be a entry requirement.

i used to have a GSD and the current show winners have such extreme angulation of the back and hips that they are functionally crippled. these dogs look NOTHING like the GSDs of even 25 years ago. i see the same thing with many breeds, including the ones mentioned. The Pekinese was a warrior of a dog, brave, noble and fit (if small) now? its a mess.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Yes – and I think it’s most interesting that the GSDs were NOT on the list.

Why not? I think it’s fair to say that only the breeders and the judges can’t see their problems. My husband, who is not really a dog person and can only barely tell the front from the tail commented in horror on watching a GSD in a dog show on TV “my god, that dog is walking on his heels” … a more experienced observer once described the modern GSD as ‘a neurotic hock walker’.

But GSDs were not on the list.

• Collin March 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM

It does, indeed, seem unfair for the KC to take the exhibitors’ money, and then after the win is secured, to single out that dog and take the honor away. There must be a better way. However, as breeders of purebred dogs we MUST be willing to police ourselves, to do what’s necessary to assure that we’re breeding the healthiest animals possible, and it is up to the kennel clubs in every nation to set up a proper framework to help us in this long term endeavor.

• Kaitlyn March 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I completely agree!! This can be done in a way that works for everyone and produces healthy dogs that are breed types. I think the problem is that no one has set anything up for required health testing and the breeds have suffered for it. The KC is doing the right thing but going about it the wrong way.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM

And second guessing a judge to boot … tacky at the least. I hope the judges are up in arms.

• Barbara Krzewicki March 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I agree 100%. To subject only a few dogs to veterinary examination AFTER exhibition is unfair. If the KC wants to kowtow to the AR’s draconian requirements, let ALL entered dogs be examined despite the logistics of doing so. And let ALL entered dogs be passed by the consensus of a panel of qualified vets, because, god knows, not all vets are. I thank my lucky stars that my vet is outstanding, because I’m familiar with far too many horror stories of vets who have no business laying their hands on an animal in ANY capacity. Let the KC assemble a panel of board-certified *canine* specialists (orthopedic, dermatologist, eye specialist, etc) and let there be a consensus on EVERY entered dog. The KC can’t do it? It’s THEIR concession to AR’s, so let THEM figure out how to be fair to all exhibitors. But having a tiny representation of entered dogs looked at by ONE vet who may or may not be a canine vet, and who may or may not be competent, does not accomplish a THING. This is what second opinions are for.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Hear, hear!

• MAGRN March 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM

This is just more of PETA and HSUS doing their dirty work. They will only be happy when ALL animals are either dead or funning in the woods. This is an international attempt to stop anyone from having a steak, chasing fox, showing dogs, the list is a long one. If you all can’t see who is behind this then you are blind. Just because this happened in the UK does not mean it isn’t spreading like a plague.

• Bo March 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Thank you. Finally a voice of reason.
      It is pathetically ignorant to claim a breed which require medical intervention just to deliver a litter to be a “healthy”.
      These breeds certainly didn’t look this way only 50 years ago – never mind what they might’ve resembled “millions” of years ago..
      It is sad when the fancy get so stuck on their own vision of a breed without regard to the dogs health and well-being.
      Nobody can (successfully) argue that any dog,no matter breed,is healthy if it cannot perform or do what the breed was originally bred for.
      Isn’t this exactly what standards were developed to ensure?
      A GSD unable to do police-work should not be bred.
      Why the same dog could win or even compete in conformation is beyond me and I’m glad someone is willing to step in and hopefully SAVE this once multi-functional breed as well as other breeds in need of it.
      The GSD has so much potential when healthy and well bred,why would anyone want a crippled copy?
      And any Pekinese unable to breathe or walk a few feet unless placed on an ice-pack every few minutes cannot possibly be considered healthy by anyone. At least none with a clear and unbiased judgement.
      The Bulldog has been bred to such extreme over the past few decades they would simply die out without the vet-assistance which – sadly – is considered the “normal” way of Bulldog delivery.
      The actions taken at Crufts were very much in these (and other) breeds best interest.
      I find it disappointing that so many “fanciers” do not understand the importance of functionality beyond the show ring.
      Why not just shoot yourself in the foot instead? At least that way your harmful ways won’t hurt those of us who want to keep and breed healthy and functional as well as beautiful dogs that actually fit the standard.
      I had hopes for at least somewhat intelligent views and opinions here.
      How disappointing!

• Collin March 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Bo, you too are a voice of reason. As a group, responsible hobby breeders (and I include myself in that number) MUST stop being so reactionary, constantly blaming every negative suggestion on PETA and the HSUS.
        Am I the enemy because I want Bulldogs and Clumber Spaniels to be able to whelp naturally instead of only being able to give birth via C-section? Am I the enemy because I want Pugs and Pekingese to be able to breathe easily and freely? Because I don’t want Great Danes and Standard Poodles to experience the agony of bloat? Because I want Dalmatians to be able to urinate without the piercing pain of kidney stones? I am not the enemy!
        What I AM is a devoted second-generation dog person, who loves dogs of every size, shape and color, and who insists that we as breeders take responsibility and do what is best for our dogs! Let’s adopt our own Hippocratic oath and insist that each among us “First do no harm…” I’ll tell you one thing: the FIRST strategy of PETA and HSUS is “Divide and Conquer,” and it looks to me like that is being accomplished in this case.
        The Kennel Club in England and Crufts are not our enemy. They may not be going about this in exactly the right way, but the premise IS the right one. Instead of our fighting among ourselves, why don’t we put anger and vitriole aside and work together to find a better solution?

• sshephard
        Susan Shephard March 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I am unsure of what Pekingese you speak of when you state: “And any Pekinese unable to breathe or walk a few feet unless placed on an ice-pack every few minutes cannot possibly be considered healthy by anyone” My Pekes run and play, several are on serious squirell patrol several times a day. And my Pekes are like most of them, a sturdy little dog that is an excellent companion. I have a litter of 5 puppies that were free whelped in my bedroom in less than 3 hours. At the shows, yes I give them an ice pack to lay on, they like it and it is comfortable. Will they die without it, of course not. But I like to make sure my dogs are comfortable. Please don’t make judgements about things that you obviously have no expertise in.

• Carole Davenport March 10, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I agree with everything that Susan has said. I also have a self whelped litter of 6 Pekingese puppies, 9 days old, born over 5 hours. They were all very vigorous from birth with good solid bodies. This is the 2nd self whelped litter from this bitch.
          But sometimes things go wrong, as in all breeds, and a c section is necessary.
          Nearly 2 years ago one of our bitches, who’d done well in the show ring, had to have a section because the cervix hadn’t dilated enough to pass a puppy & she’d been having contractions for hours. I wanted to wait but was advised by my vet that infection could easily enter and it put not only the puppies at risk but the bitch as well.
          He also said this might not happen again, but as responsible dog breeders we decided not to have another litter from this bitch. She is now spayed and very well loved and spoilt in a pet home. But this could happen to any breed, including cross breeds. I know of several Pekingese breeders whose bitches self whelp and yet people seem to be under the MISCONCEPTION that this is impossible with Pekes.

Now to the health and fitness of Pekingese.
          The BOB at Crufts who was denied the Group, Palacegarden Bianca, is an extremely fit dog. The breeders road walk all their dogs up and down the lanes every day and they have free play at home. My understanding is that the KC vet could find nothing wrong with her. Eventually, against the rules, he shone a torch into her eyes and said he THOUGHT he could detect the BEGINNINGS of an eye ulcer !!!! And for this she was disqualified.
          Yes Pekes pant when it’s hot. They have to pant in order to dissipate body heat, as do all dogs. So why is it acceptable for all other dogs to pant and show their tongues but not for Pekes? Why when Pekes show their tongues are they penalised? This is why at shows, where there is often very little air, cool packs are used to make them more comfortable, so that they are not panting and showing their tongues.

• Christi McDonald
            Christi March 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

To Susan and Carole,

No one who sincerely has the best interests of the purebred dog world at heart wants to paint all breeders, even all breeders of the “high profile breeds,” with the same brush. Of course there are many, many Pekingese that can run and play like every other dog, without unusual breathing problems.

At the same time, there are issues in some breeds that need to be addressed, among them upper airway syndrome in brachycephalic breeds. The Pekingese Club of America, among others, has provided extensive information on its website about upper airway syndrome, acknowledging the need for dialogue on the issue and caution in breeding.

It seems clear that the Kennel Club recklessly selected what appear to be unqualified medical “experts” to examine the 15 high profile breed-winners. A veterinarian with expertise in upper airway syndrome is logically the one to examine the brachycephalic entries that might suffer in that area. An orthopedic specialist is the obvious choice to examine the German Shepherd Dog to be sure it is physically sound. If a Basset Hound, Bloodhound or Clumber is to be examined for eye issues, then a veterinary ophthalmologist who has expertise in what to look for is the only sensible choice to evaluate these dogs.

What a tragic shame that this was not sensibly handled at Crufts this year. We must protest to the Kennel Club in a reasonable way, with the strength of our numbers behind us, so that in the future this will be handled in a proper fashion. As a constituency, British and American hobby breeders combined against this mishandling of this situation can make a formidable foe. But we must be reasonable.

• Bo March 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Susan,
          I’m glad your dogs are healthy & happy.
          Dogs by that description are exactly the kind of dogs I believe should be bred –
          and shown. I wish your dogs the best of luck.
          But,please refrain from personal comments regarding my expertise.
          To that you really have no idea.
          Bo

• BernerMom March 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Christi ~

To your point that vet specialists be assigned to each aspect of the Breed in question:

Therefore, to excuse the Pekingese, Palacegarden Bianca, for a “possible” blemish on one cornea would require an ophthalmology specialist to issue an accurate diagnosis. The vet in attendance is a general vet, at best, who used an illegal torch to ascertain the “possible” blemish. In the military we would call that “ghost fault finding to further advance (the) underlying agenda”.

To your insightful statement, this vet’s ‘impression’ was illegally obtained and ultimately null and void. Unfortunately, the political agenda at Crufts 2012 is alive, well, and working in full force.

• sshephard
    Susan Shephard March 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM

This is by far the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in purebred dogs. The gutless wonder of a Kennel Club has caved to the Animal Rights/PETA mentality and is making an example of a few breeds. I think no matter what Peke or Bulldog won today, they were not making it to the Groups. And what an insult to the breeder judge, Bert Easdon who won a BIS there several years back. The Kennel Club should be ashamed of themselves. I would hope that Crufts never sees a Bulldog or Pekingese entry again. As Americans, we need to work to be sure the AKC never goes down this bunny trail. Absolutely appalling.
    Susan Shephard
    Deja vu Pekingese ROM

• nigel March 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Get a grip Susan, its a wakeup call to todays breeders and showpeople that could and hopefully will ensure that the breeds in question will be healthier in the future. America is way behind us with regard to promoting animal welfare , docking of tails and cutting of ears to points in dogs is still legal, wild animals still perform in circuses and the meat trade , rearing of pigs, veal calves etc abysmal , regulated far less than here in uk.. The disqualification of the Peke at Crufts was totally justified, just wonder how many other ‘Champions’ within the group would have also failed the vet check, im assuming most !

• BernerMom March 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

nigel writes: “The disqualification fo the Peke at Crufts was totally justified…”

Perhaps you would like to tell us from exactly which school of veterinarian science you graduated? And when, exactly, did you do a hands-on exam of this specific Pekingese where you determined its dismissal as being justified? From your post you appear to know Pekingese quite well and have extensive veterinarian training.

• Merry March 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Yes, Nigel, you are way ahead of us Yanks. You are way out there on the edge of the precipice, ready to jump into no-human-ownership-of-animals nirvana. You’re welcome to go there, but we are not foolish lemmings. Didn’t you learn that during the war when we freed ourselves from your tyranny?

• dwpigeon March 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Utterly ridiculous posturing by the British Kennel Club. Publically vilify the breed, humiliate the Judge, cast doubt on the professionalism of every other veterinary professional who had ALREADY certified these dogs as they SHOULD BE prior to the competition. I should llike very much to know the qualifications and experience of this so called professional that examined these animals.
      Entries in my, very popular breed were very low, no wonder !!!
      Signed
      Ashamed to be British Today.

• Laura March 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM

You ( Allison) make a good argument for someone to sue them. While I know this is a American thing ( suing at a drop of a hat) I can assure you if someone were to hire a attorney and ( or what it is called over there) they would have a valid case I suspect. I mean the KC took thousands of $’s from these people and gave nothing in return? sounds like fraud to me.

• chienblanc4csi March 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I can’t imagine the AKC caving in to what was essentially ENTERTAINMENT, a ‘shock-umentary’ following the reality TV trend. “Pedigree Dogs Exposed” should have had nothing at all to do with policy or kennel club rules, or any clout with the dog fancy, this is just embarrassing for all involved. This makes me very angry. I seem to remember that the content of the original ‘movie’ was not extreme enough, and Harrison basically remade the whole thing to please sponsors. And she complied, all about the money, I suspect. Shock sells, reasonable critique apparently doesn’t.
      I don’t know if the Kennel Club has a similar structure as the AKC, but if it does, there could be a good case for sanctions against the show committee, charges, or even worse, disbanding the Kennel Club in favor of a registry that actually represents the best interests of dogs and the sport. JMHO.

I am coming to England in the fall to give a talk at my breed’s World Congress, I expect to get an education, as well, as a legislative liaison in the States. I really don’t understand how a single, biased and extreme animal rights-based ‘movie’ can be allowed to steer policy like this.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM

It seems that the public in the UK, as the public in the US, has been thoroughly indoctrinated in the AR dogma. I am somewhat encouraged to see some horrified comments here from Brits; I have been corresponding with a breeder’s list where a lot of Brits hang out and they have been so indignantly assuring us that this travesty at Crufts has NOTHING whatever to do with AR that the moderator has shut the discussion down. They assure us that the UK has no AR problems at all, and that we have it all wrong.

AKC has assured American breeders that it will never stoop to this kind of appeasement, and I hope they stick to that, because they have certainly engaged in plenty of appeasement in the past. The reality is that the fancy has been very nearly as well indoctrinated as the general public; the only real difference in many cases is that they except themselves for purposes of breeding dogs. Otherwise, many of them accept much of the AR rhetoric.

• Carolyn March 10, 2012 at 7:30 AM

When you enter any competition you typically sign something that says they can disqualify, or ask you to leave at their discretion. Think of all those people who spend 100′s of thousands of dollars getting a horse to the highest level (in any olympic sport) and can be refused to compete due to looking a ‘little off’ That to me trumps any whining about being denied a placement due to concerns about health. Sure it sucks, sure I would be embarrassed if it happened to me. However you play at the discretion of the show organizers. You don’t like it, you don’t enter.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Olympic horses, and endurance horses are appropriately tested at intervals by *equine* vets who specialize in horse athletes.

This appears to be quite a different case. But I’m sure that equine sports will soon be subjected to the same thing, if their competition organizers can be corrupted by the AR activists. It’s not only dogs which are under siege, horses are too.

• Christine March 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

“What gives you the right to CHANGE the interpretation of what the breed should be from what ancient Emperors and dog fanciers gave us.”

I ask that of the people who created the modern Pekingese, which bears barely any resemblance to the dogs the Empress of China bred. Anyone who claims otherwise is deluding themselves, or else truly believes that ‘improvement’ means altering breeds according to ring fashion without regard to health or historic type. You only have to look at UK Peke foundation kennels like Goodwood to see plainly what the breed used to be like:

‘Improvement’ is clearly a subjective concept.

• BernerMom March 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Christine ~

Perhaps you have on hand a photo of the very first Chinese Pekingese to compare to those produced by early British Breeders? Also, if you have any chronological photos of how the Pekingese progressed between the very first Pekingese in China to those who landed in England they would be most helpful. My, I wonder how the Breed continued at all without the outcrosses used. Perhaps you have the genetic information for tracking purposes that could illustrate your statement? Those details would very beneficial.

• Denise Harvey March 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Huh – all in the name of PC – I most certainly will NEVER bother trying to go to Crufts again – what hypocritical bull…it ! No wonder the backyarders and puppy factories are making a motza – when the all-so mighty KC quiver in a heap like this.
    I would be suing the KC and suing the bloody vet – for loss of chance! not to mention reputation, income etc etc.
    in disgust…..

• M March 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

WELL DONE VET!!!

Better late than never! Although health checks should be extended to all breeds! Really dont know what is wrong with some breeders….they adore their breed yet can’t see they are completely ruining them. And I hope the judges of those breeds are utterly embarrassed that the vet stopped them from going any further in the competition! HA

• MAGRN March 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

There were NO health checks done by this vet. If you can’t see that this is nothing more than a P.R. stunt then I feel for you.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Health checks for *all* competitors by canine specialists *before* competition would not be objectionable, I would imagine. That isn’t the case here.

What this is is pure grandstanding, an insult to both the judges and competitors involved. It can have no good effect whatever on the targeted breeds, because it is so clearly unjust and irrelevant.

• Pam March 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Mr. Wheeler, pull out some old, old texts on the Pekingese breed and compare the dogs in the old photos to what you see in the show ring today. Take a very close look at the original imports from China and compare the early original breed standards to what you see in the show ring today. What you see in the show ring today, Wheeler, is NOT what was being bred in the royal courts of China prior to 1900. Not even close. I don’t know why Western breeders felt they needed to change the entire breed from what it was to what you see in the show ring today, but they did and developed an entirely different breed from what the Chinese royal court bred. So, PLEASE, before you spout off about how the Westerners have no right to change the modern Pekingese of today because you mistakenly believe today’s modern Western show Peke is what the original Chinese dogs were, GET EDUCATED ON THE BREED BECAUSE YOU ARE WRONG ON THAT SCORE!

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I bet he’s not. It’s not my breed, but I’m willing to bet that if you took the pictured dog, a Chinese import, and subjected it to today’s grooming practises, that it would not look very different from your pekes today.

The same is true of many, if not most other long haired breeds. Let’s try not to let ourselves be misled by superficial issues. The issue is structure and soundness, and though a competent vet should be able to form a valid opinion on those scores, it would appear that instead, the vet was determined to find *some* reason to disqualify the dogs he was shown.

That’s a very different matter.

I am quite looking forward to Mr. Wheeler’s post on the corruption of vet students, which has been going on for fifteen years or more here in the States. It is becoming difficult in many places here to find a vet to look after intact dogs, never mind breeding dogs.

• zenith March 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Wellll….. as I understand it, most everyone that breeds and show regardless of breed they prefer is member of a breed club, like the Bulldog Club of America, and the goal is to breed and show the best of the litters that exemplify their breeds standard. Most standards having been established “many moons ago”. Yes, My preferred breed has a small nose and narrow hips with a broad, deep chest. That was what it needed to be like to do the job it did back when it had a job. (Bull- baiting.) Most of these dogs had jobs but their jobs are obsolete. So between the established standards of the breeds and a judge trained in each breeds standard, responsible breeders, (because those that aren’t breeding according to standard won’t get far), should be allowed to compete and win Best of Breed and Show if that is what the respective JUDGES have deemed worthy. NOT some vet who might have no idea how the breed developed, how long it’s been around, and how the breeders truly feel about their respective breed and the fine animal family member they are sharing with the rest of the world. I hope that all who have these breeds that are being subject to “CHANGE” will NOT enter any more of the shows that Crufts sponsors or that support any of these new rules. Leave the breeds as they are!!!

• Janet China Magic Pekingese March 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I would like to know what disqualified the Peke and the Bulldog. Wouldn’t the breed judge know if a Peke was “unhealthy” ? Isn’t that why we have judges?
    I am really confused by their ruling.
    AKC doesn’t follow Cruft’s.
    Janet M
    China Magic Pekingese

• Lorraine Chippindale - Chinaroad March 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!
    Boycott Crufts worldwide!!!
    SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

• MAGRN March 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Time to dump some more freekin TEA!!!

• Lynn March 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Unless there are a lot of changes made, AKC is likely to fall to the same idiocies as the KC. It’s not only breeders vets now disapprove of; it’s anyone who prefers to keep their pet dogs intact. HSUS has successfully infiltrated AKC *and* the AVMA, not to mention the legal profession.

If we are to continue to breed purebreds at all (highly dubious, absent some serious changes not only in politics, but also in local ordinances and county and state statutes), it may be that for many breeds, we will have to breed outside ‘the fancy’. You may be sure that the vets who are selected to pronounce on purebred dogs on exhibition will NOT be those few ‘reproductive’ specialists who themselves take an interest in purebred dogs and who are still serving breeders. That function will be served by vets who have been thoroughly indoctrinated in AR dogma.

It looks bad in the US for all dog owners, not just breeders.

• Anne M. Hier March 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Though there are those who state that AKC should “modernize” its business form and get rid of of the Delegates, serious fanciers need to know that the current AKC Charter is all that stands between our beloved breeds and the debacle that is Crufts and the KC. The Charter specifically states that it is the Parent Clubs that define the “true type,” not a bunch of people sitting around a desk on Clarges Street who decide that the entire population of 15 breeds is inherently unhealthy,but conveniently do not include the breeds they own and favor on that list. Indeed, to become recognized for show by the KC, fanciers must submit to having these same people dictate what the breed standards should be. Additionally, the AKC Delegates vote on the Rules Applying to Dog Shows which specifically state that a veterinarian may be used to determine if a dog has a communicable disease but may not pass on the merits of the dog. For many years vets could be called into the ring by either exhibitors or judges for an opinion on the soundness of a particular dog. Unfortunately, this system was frequently abused by those vets who liked the extra money of the appointment at large shows and would thus certify that lame dogs only had a “temporary condition” and could continue to compete. We’ve been there, done that and it is no longer permitted at our shows as veterinarians are human beings just like the rest of us. There is no such thing as an “independent” vet at a show when he or she is being paid for his services by the organization that is running the show.

• Sam Eykamp March 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I think it’s about time, why is it OK to breed a dog that can’t walk but waddles, has deformed short bowed legs, a flat face, no nose & so much coat it would be impossible to clean it’s self well. Peke’s did not look like this 100 yrs ago, a neighbouring farmer had Peke’s who used to go ratting with her Tenterfield Terriers( the Terriers out lasted them & where far more agile but the Peke’s still had a ball & caught a few too) & I can assure you the Peke’s we see in the show ring would have over heated within the first 5 minutes never mind made the trott back up the hill to the house when they where finished. Sure they have short bowed legs but no where near as short or bowed as todays Pekes, they where a taller dog with a lot less coat & no where near as flat a face plus they actually had a nose. They looked more like todays Tibetan Spaniels than todays show ring breed Peke yet they where pappered Peke’s, 1 an asian import. That was just over 30 yrs ago so you can not convince me the dog is not being breed for extreme type & coat today with little to no care put into thier function, life span & general health.
    How can anyone say a dog that over heats & has a raised heart rate after a trott around the show ring & is in need of an ice pack is healthy is beyond me. Can you imagine either of these Peke’s mentioned above playing chase with another dog for more than a few minutes without having breathing difficulties or running the risk of over heating. All dogs deserve the right to be stuctrally correct & sound enough to play, clean themselves, mate, whelp & raise a liter without medical assistance & live a normal doggy type life & a normal life span.
    The times are a changing & it’s time show breeders realized the public & other dog breeders will not stand for this cruelity any longer, I’m so sick of hearing we breed to improve upon the breed & for the betterment of the breed it makes me want to cry how have show breeders say they have bettered or improved upon those Peke’s I knew over 30 yrs ago that could run, play & do all things every single living dog should be able to do without being hindered by extreme type, huge coats & difficulty breathing.

• CAROL March 9, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Hope that all bulldog and peke exhibitors demand their entry fees and all traveling expenses be reimbursed from the Club

• Paluka March 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Some of the breed standards are pathetic. These sick people are taking innocent creatures and transforming them into mutants that suffer for show.

• Debbie March 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

You would not know a breed standard if it slapped you in the face! PETA!!

• Donna March 9, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Excellent news and I congratulate the vet on making this stand and long may it continue.

Im disgusted at some of these comments e.g. bowing down to animal rights, money generated in the ring, the loss of income etc., these people clearly only breed/show dogs purely as a money making exercise and to inflate their own egos?

Such people could never claim to be animal lovers. I would suggest that these people breed/show something that wont result in suffering, perhaps leeks???????????

• Debbie March 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM

You do not make money showing dogs. You will spend more than you will EVER make!!

• Barbara Krzewicki March 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Make MONEY breeding/showing dogs? How is that possible? More like working a LOT of overtime at a regular job to have the PRIVILEGE of breeding a few litters, feeding them correctly, health-checking and routinely vetting them, and then paying a LOT of expenses to show them, all with the idea of preserving and improving a particular breed because of the LOVE of that breed.

But then, SOME people think that the only way to love dogs is to love mutts, no matter that these mutts are too often born out on a street somewhere, not in a breeder’s warm home. So let’s get rid of well-bred and well-loved purebreds, and make CERTAIN that all pet dogs are born in misery and need to be rescued, right?

• wendy March 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Donna, what was the Vet’s stand regarding the bulldog? She received an eye injury as a puppy and it left a tiny scar on her cornea. If she were prone to corneal lacerations due to genetic issues, she would have multiple scars and would probably have been disqualified for having eye surgery sometime in the last three years.

Mellowmood One In a Million is a beautiful girl and the type of bulldog, breeders should strive towards with her smaller head and fewer wrinkles. She reminds me of my last bully, who lived 13 years. The main difference is he had slightly longer legs. Disqualifying her for an eye injury received as a puppy that is not visible to the naked eye is nothing more than breed prejudice. There is nothing about her that screams “unfit”. She moves extremely well and will probably live a long and healthy life.

• Peter Dawson March 9, 2012 at 3:44 AM

At last some courageous action against a couple of breeds which are so sadly not fit for purpose. It is cruel, I think, even to perpetuate such designs. It remains to be seen whether this action will do anything to discourage the breeding of them, but I hope so. What sort of mindset thinks it okay to breed animals born crippled by their basic design.
    Shame on you who support such cruelty,you cannot be described accurately as ‘dog lovers’ by any stretch of imagination.

• Debbie March 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

You can tell all the peta people making their rants on here!

• Peter Dawson March 9, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Incidentally, to the person who thinks today’s bulldogs evolved like that to bait bulls, not so, if you look at illustrations of bulldogs made in the days when bullbaiting took place you will note that those dogs were far better designed for that purpose, being much less exaggerated. Today’s bulldogs would not last twenty seconds against an angry bull.
    But that’s beside the point, all non working dogs are intended to be healthy pets. I hope the process has begun which will weed out at those least efficient and unhealthy canine designs; not only the obvious freaks but also those breeds which perpetuate harmful recessive genes, such as the cavalier spaniel for example.

• David Rudman March 9, 2012 at 5:01 AM

” Wouldn’t the breed judge know if a Peke was “unhealthy” ? Isn’t that why we have judges?” ……
    I think that is a big part of the problem. Judges apparently do not know (and to be fair in the case of some diseases COULD not know) if dogs are unhealthy.
    We should support all measures to improve the welfare of dogs. We demean ourselves if we think breeding of dogs is more important than the dogs themselves as some people here seem to suggest…. and this is just the start of something the Kennel Club are trying, so don’t be surprised if they haven’t got all the details of how to run this scheme right initially.

• Michele Dove March 9, 2012 at 6:48 AM

I agree with Erika. If there is to be inspection of the dogs then ALL dogs should be inspected by a licensed veterinarian who SPECIALIZES in the breed which he/she is inspecting and it should be done BEFORE they go into the ring, not after!!!

• Lorna March 9, 2012 at 6:50 AM

“Now here is the real rub. It is the vet, who may or may not have ever bred a litter in his/her life, who makes the determination as to whether the Breed winner is worthy of the award, not the judge. I’ll hold to a future post the discussion of how veterinary students are being brainwashed today, but many of you have already run across vets who are not sympathetic to our hobby.”

I am a vet. I do not make judgements on whether or not a dog complies with a breed standard and is therefore worthy of an award. What I do make a judgement on, is whether or not those breed standards are the cause of multiple quality of life issues I see in practice every day. My training and experience qualify me to do this as a breeder’s do not. And when I see breeders insisting that their bandy-legged, bow-backed, incapable of breathing normally products are perfectly normal, happy dogs… then indeed I find myself very unsympathetic to their hobby, and will support to the hilt both the KC and any vet who acts to change things in this respect.
    I also find myself lacking any respect whatsoever for an “argument” claiming that being unsympathetic to a hobby that creates suffering equates to being brainwashed. Is that the best you can come up with? You disagree with what I’m doing, so you must have been brainwashed?

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM

However, the point of a purebred dog IS that it conform to a breed standard.

It’s true enough that there are breeds that have been taken well beyond the point of soundness, and that the breeders and judges should take a long, hard look at the dogs that are being produced and pinned. But the way to do that is NOT to set a vet on the winners of a few breeds (and probably not the worst of them) to find something, anything, to use to disqualify them.

Reform by force is no reform at all, and if true reform is to happen, it must come from within the breed. As the judges have contributed to *some* of the problems seen in *some* breeds, so can they contribute to reform.

If this causes some judges to take another look at their selections, then some good will come of it. But this underhanded bid to second guess judges and humiliate breeder/exhibitors can’t possibly have the desired effect on its own.

It could be that that is exactly what the ARAs who have wished this travesty on the KC are hoping for. It will be easier for them to demonize the breeding of purebred dogs if the judges and exhibitors just dig in their heels and refuse to budge, giving the activists the ammunition to make breeding purebred dogs impossible for practical purposes.

That is one of their goals.

• Robin March 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I agree with several posters that a health exam should be done on ALL breeds, not just single out a few. And perhaps the exams should be done BEFORE the show? That way only “healthy” dogs are in the ring in the first place and they don’t have to withhold awards. This seems like a convenient way for people to play politics, people already have to deal with biased judges, now they have to worry about the vet disliking them too.

• Rod Russell March 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM

If a brachycephalic dog has to rest on an ice pack between trips around the ring, it is not healthy.

• Jane Hadley March 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I agree that the British Kc is running scared now since the film came out.
    I must agree that the dogs must be fit for function;
    If indeed they have to examine these dogs why did not all the dogs going in to the ring for the BOB have a quick health check so as to not arrive at such a tragic result, then the BOS would get a chance to represent the breed. Or even simpler- When sending in their entry for Crufts show a health certificate valid for a specified time ie entries go in for Jan 2012 so get a vet certicate before sending in your entry- attach it your entry therefore no other checks should be made..If you have to have someone vet your dog Id rather go to a certified vet designated by the KC- It wouldnt take much to put in to action for them to compile a list of vets in all parts of the country and other lands and publish a document for them to sign that you could download from their website. Would save a lot of hearthache.
    I sure would be very very upset if I was the owner/handler of one of these two dogs.
    Jane

• Collin March 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Here, here, Jane! A sensible suggestion at last!

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Ha. Ha. There were at least four dogs (at my last count), and I am sure that they *all* had all the relevant certifications. People who exhibit their dogs at this level don’t skimp on vet services.

I suspect that a lot of eligible exhibitors will not go back to Crufts any time soon. But the reality is that the whole fancy has been damaged by this. And that was the short term goal.

• Pam March 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Well, whaddaya know? Looks like PETA and HSUS have their hands in the UK, not just the US.

• Kaitlyn March 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I think that they went about this the wrong way…they should’ve checked all the bulldogs etc BEFORE the best of breed was decided.

I don’t think it matters if the vet has never breed a litter. They own dogs and have spent years knowing how to recognize an unhealthy dog (I’m not saying if the 3 DQed are or are not). A judge is NOT. They know their breed standards quite well but do they know how to test for luxating patellas or heart murmurs? NO!

Vets know genetics and can help breeders breed healthier dogs. And if you are so upset that we don’t know shit, then talk to us! It’s not that hard, we like to learn and do research. And if you have a good vet that is willing to listen, they’ll be up for talking about dog shows and the art that goes behind them.

Also, we vet students are not being brain-washed! The fact certain breeds of dogs make us a lot of money. I don’t mind that people breed Pekes or Bulldogs but I would like them to breed healthy ones. I’ve watched Boxers have horrible seizures that them exhausted and scared. It’s not fun, I don’t enjoy that. Or the dysplastic Lab that needs a double hip replacement. Yes, it makes me money if the owner can afford it but if they can’t, the poor dog will eventually suffer. I have a Golden who’s parents were health-checked top to bottom (no heart murmurs, joint issues etc).

Where is the article that states why they were DQed??

• Lindsay Bryson March 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

This is FALSE. Most vets do NOT know genetics and most veterinary schools are anti-breeder and PREACH that to their students. Don’t believe me? Talk to some of the new vets coming out of the schools and into practice. Dog ownership is going to be a thing of the past if we are not careful!

• D March 11, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Most Vets see purebred dogs suffering on a day-by-day basis and have to (surgically) correct what has gone wrong over years and years of breeding extreme dog designs. Does it come as a surprise to anybody that really cares for dog’s welfare that Vets vote against this kind of breeding?

• kayla
          kayla March 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Could you offer statistical data with citations to support your statement please?

• Lindsay Bryson March 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I would be VERY interested to know how many of these dogs come from reputable breeders vs. come from backyard breeders or puppy millers.
          Most vets see mixed breed dogs with the exact same ailments.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Actually, most vets see morbidly obese s/n dogs, and yes, they often do have to surgically correct hips and patellas. Often those unsoundnesses result from s/n, particularly in dogs s/n as juveniles. And there is no shortage of crosses and mutts among them. Age takes its toll too, and few of us survive old age without some creaks and glitches.

Purebred dogs are not less healthy or less sound in general than mutts or crossbreds. Do some technical research, that is, research away from the AR sites, and you will find good reason to doubt the AR dogma on purebreds vs crossbreds/mutts and also the value of s/n to the animal.

A few breeds have more structural problems or health vulnerabilities than others. If this is worrisome to you, do the research beforehand, and avoid those breeds. There are no shortage of healthy, sound breeds available in all groups.

• Cara Campbell, DVM March 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM

It’s bad the way this happened. If health checks are required for certain breeds, then it should be done before judging. But OMG, can you imagine the cost and the time! If you’re in the UK and show those breeds, you obviously know there is a possibility, your dog might be excused. I would think something is signed acknowledging you will accept the veterinarian’s opinion. Good/bad?

Does anyone know WITH 100% CERTAINTY that the 2 dogs were DQ’ed because of the eyes, or is that just the rumor, or based on the fact people must have seen the doctor use a light to look in the eyes? And if it was the eyes, there are certain conditions that do change, so previous health checks may be irrelevant.

But to blame the veterinarian !?! And suggest suing? Most veterinarians can determine if a dog is unhealthy or not, even if they have never raised a litter. And unfortunately, there are many, many unhealthy purebreds (and mixed breeds) in the world, and they are bred to their respective standards. As a veterinarian for 25 years and dog breeder for 30 years, I am still appauled at the number of unhealthy dogs I see as a result of just being themselves, their breed. Dogs that have been bred according to the standard. Most have physiologic problems, not diseases. The bulldog of today differs drastically from the bulldog 100 years ago. As a veterinarian, if I’m asked if a dog look good for it’s breed standard I might say yes, but if asked if that same dog is healthy, I might say no. Don’t sue the veterinarian! Try to get us on your side! We need to be your friends!! I get tired of telling new puppy owners that a certain defect is normal for the breed. Give me something to work with!

The real shame is that all of this has happened because of the influence of animal rights activists. As dog breeders we were in position to not let this happen, and we couldn’t or didn’t prevent it from happening. So maybe the good part of this, is that the dogs may be healthier in the future. ???? (I’m not trying to offend any certain breed).

It’s a tough road ahead. I breed dogs. I don’t plan on stopping, but it’s difficult even for me. With every new client that wants their puppy’s ear cropped, I have to go through a long speech about AR people who may say things to them, and how even the AVMA doesn’t “really” want us (veterinarians) cropping ears. I didn’t used to have to do this.

Thank you Billy for allowing us to comment. I just wish dog breeders wouldn’t put the blame fully on the veterinarian. The rule was in place. At this point, this veterinarian’s opinion is the only one that mattered. Maybe these dog’s shouldn’t have passed previous checks. But we don’t know. We didin’t see what the veterinarian saw. We (dog fancy) will get more accomplished if we continue to work together.

Cara Campbell, DVM

• Kelsey March 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

This is to Cathy and Lorna:

I would like to know how many purebred dogs from REPUTABLE breeders vets see every day in their practice…not purebreds from mills, pet stores, and backyard breeders who are utterly careless and have absolutely no regard for the health or welfare of their dogs. I hear this argument all the time from people who work in the veterinary field–”Oh, I see bulldogs come in all the time that can barely breathe!” But from where?? Of course 90+% of the dogs you are seeing are poorly bred dogs that came from breeders who have never even heard of a health test, much less would be willing to spend more than a nickel to actually do any of these tests on their breeding dogs. So before you accuse all purebred dogs of a certain breed of being “bandy-legged, bow-backed and incapable of breathing” maybe you should realize that most breeders make the utmost effort to breed healthy dogs and comply with health testing without the KC’s intervention. That is why both the Pekingese and Bulldog breed winners HAVE HEALTH CLEARANCES. Now if you think the standards in and of themselves promote unhealthiness, then I don’t know what to tell you. There is nothing that will convince you because you are already biased against the dogs just by looking at them and assume anything that is short legged and short muzzled is unhealthy. As a Peke breeder here already stated, her dogs have birthed naturally, run freely, and they do not require cooling packs in order to not overheat. People have so many misconceptions about these breeds, that they MUST have a c-section or they MUST have cooling packs or they’ll overheat–owners CHOOSE to do these things to help the dogs.

• kayla March 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I would like to understand from our commenting vets what their overall pool of dogs are (mixed breed to purebreds). Out of this sample set, I would like to know:
        1) what are all the treatment visits for (preventive v specific ailment)
        2) break that out by purebred or mixed breed
        3) identifying the %age of treatment by mixed breed or purebed
        I’ve heard that Morris Foundation is working on a large scale study to look at this question, but it would nice to have real data from our vet audience that is local to us. It could be very illustrative. Responsible breeders do track their health issues and work to breed away from them, however, there’s no real way to track what happens in the dog pool at large or mixed breeds at large.

• Cara Campbell, DVM March 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Kayla, I can only speak for myself. My practice is located south of Houston, Tx. Without having to do extensive computer work, this is what I generally see.

1.Probably slightly less than 50% preventative care, so slightly more than half medical/surgical care.
          2. About 40-45% purebred dogs. Probably under 1% purebred cats.
          3. I see equal amounts of illness in purebreeds and mixed breeds. In my opinion “hybrid vigor” doesn’t seem to play any part on the health of my patients. But purebreds aren’t necessarily any healthier.

Hope that is helpful.

Cara Campbell, DVM

• kayla March 10, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Hi Cara, very helpful. thank you.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I think you are right. What knowledgeable, conscientious breeder would take his animals to a vet who is hostile to the very idea of breeding? If these vets see any breeding dogs at all, they are either oops! litters or repro emergencies.

So … it’s a self fulfiling prophecy, isn’t it?

• Lindsay Bryson March 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

The only lawsuit that anyone should look into is deformation of character. The KC happily plastered the winning dog’s name, along with their breed, and a title stating that the dogs failed their vet checks. They did not give any reason for the fail, leaving the public with the assumption that the dogs are unhealthy. The owners and breeders are now painted with the picture of having unhealthy dogs and the judges are made to look like they do not know what they are doing. It looks bad for everyone involved, the Kennel Club included.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

You are quite right, but it is becoming hard to find a vet who will be your friend if you don’t toe the AR line and keep a s/n (usually overweight) mutt.

Sadly, your younger colleagues have been taught to be hostile not only to breeders, but those who prefer to keep their pets intact.

Also – if the KC wants to go with health checks, they should do it right or not at all. If they can’t examine every entry BEFORE judging, they should find a different way to achieve their goals. This was pure AR driven grandstanding.

However, I’m not convinced the goals belong to the KC – I believe they belong primarily to the AR activists who are determined to end not only purebred dogs, but all dogs in general. The KC is playing a very dangerous appeasement game, and one it won’t find easy to put an end to.

I hope you can stay in practise a long time, and continue being a friend to your clients. I wish you were practising in my neighbourhood. The vet I have been taking my animals to tolerates me only because I don’t breed and doesn’t hide her misgivings very well. I used to trust my vets implicitly (over forty years of animal ownership), but now .. well, it gets harder all the time. It looks like I will have to resort to a repro specialist some distance away in future.

Blessings -

• Sam Eykamp March 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Seems my last post has disapeared but i for 1 welcome this & i is about time. I have seen both sides of the fence so to speak & know what comes first in a show dog kennel & it is not health & function. No it’s extreme type in heaps of breeds & flashy markings & colours in some other breeds.
    Neither the Peke or the Bulldog looked as they do a hundred years ago so how can you call it breeding for the betterment & improvement of a breed when the changes have left dogs that have restricted airways, heavily bowed legs, eyes they can be damaged as they ar not as flat as the rest ogf the dogs face, skin conditions & low immunity in general. Yeah sorry but that is not for the betterment of any breed & how you guys can support it is beyond me.

• pat ross March 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

in pursuit of excellence
    Eleanor Roosevelt words come to mind
    “No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.” and “One’s philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes.” ,

If the powers that be in The Kennel Club do not understand and support breeders and exhibitors who dedicated their time and their efforts and for many their life to produce the best possible dog and allow them to be punished in such a public way then perhaps they should step down. If the spectacle of Crufts has become about the crowds and the income and the shopping instead of a gathering of the breeders of the world to meet, discover and celebrate the best bloodstock, then perhaps it should be rethought.

Crufts should celebrate excellence. Every person, every family has a right to a family companion with predictable physical and mental characteristics. A face that makes them smile, a size that fits their home, an activity level and temperament that fits their lifestyle . And yes with limitations that they can live with – personally I don’t do well in the heat and my husband snores – but life has those choices. But a smart PR machine, bullying and guilt trips has linked puppy mill and puppy farm dogs to well bred dogs . There was no reason that any of these beautiful dogs with multiple health clearances should have been subjected to this and no reason that The Kennel Club should have been so naive to have let it happen.

The job of The Kennel Club ( and the AKC & FCI ) is to draw the line NOW !
    I have a dog eligible for Crufts in 2013 , and will rethink that trip ………

• Anne M. Hier March 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

This is an outstanding statement.

• inuaknls
    Sheila Koty March 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

At first blush, it sounded like Breeds were in serious trouble and the KC was stepping in to do what the Breed clubs were not. Before you vilify the Breed clubs, COMPLETELY READ why these breeds are on the High Profile Breed list. The Chinese Crested? It is on for strictly cosmetic reasons; “Clipper rash or burns caused by shaving”. This is supposed to be a list of breeds with serious health issues and they put the Crested on for clipper rash??? That is an easy fix. The Breed judge simply is informed that they can no longer put up ANY dog with this and, in very quick order, it will stop. This Breed does NOT belong on a list that states they have serious health issues.

The Clumber Spaniel Breed winner was just pulled today. Here is what KC says is wrong with the Clumber (I got this right off of The Kennel Club’s web site):
    “•Excessive amounts of loose facial skin with conformational defects of the upper and/or lower eyelids so that the eyelid margins are not in normal contact with the eye when the dog is in its natural pose (e.g. they turn in or out, or both abnormalities are present)
    •Weak hind movement
    •Obvious ear irritation”

This bitch CAME TO THE SHOW, with the following DOCUMENTED test results:
    A/A hips, 0/0 elbows, healthy patellas, a clear eye certificate & DNA tested clear of PDP1. So how does an on-site Vet feel that they are more qualified to judge this bitch’s soundness over the Specialists who gave her all of those health clearances???

She isn’t just a ‘show pony’ either folks. She also competes in Field Trials (which means SHE IS DOING WHAT HER BREED WAS MEANT TO DO). This is a VERY nice bitch, whos breeder and owners did everything right and was still punished for it. Folks, you CAN NOT get those kinds of health certs if you only bred for “show looks”. These are people who are passionate about their breed and spends thousands and thousands of dollars to insure that their dogs are the healthiest that they can be.

This Clumber is the perfect example that the Kennel Club needs to rethink what they have done this year. Erika made a good point; the exam should take place before judging and all Breeds should be subject to it, not just the 15 on The Kennel Club’s “High Profile” list.

Sheila

PS~ and before you start saying that I am biased because I have these Breeds, I do not. But I have been in the Dog world for a long time. Obedience for 40 years, Conformation (dog shows) for 33 years and – when my health was better- I worked my sled dogs. The same dogs that I had in harness, were the ones that I had, winning, in the Show ring.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Well said!

• Kelly March 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

How dare those evil vets tell us our dogs aren’t healthy! What do they know?!

• Reeta March 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM

They know a darn site more than you! All this talk about the Kennel Club cowing to animal rights activists is ridiculous – Pedigree Dogs Exposed just brought the issue to the public domain and the public wants high welfare dogs. As breeders we are providing a product and if the public don’t want to buy unhealthy puppies we have to change! I support the vet in question – I am sure he knew the controversy he would generate if any breeds failed so will be confident in his examination. The KC should be applauded for taking such a stance. Future generations of pekes and bulldogs will thank them for it! I for one would love the American Kennel Club to grow some balls and take similar action. The mutant peek should never have been allowed to win Westminter

• BernerMom March 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Reeta says:

“Future generations of pekes and bulldogs will thank them for it!”

Well, this certainly is reassuring! That one general practice vet, using a simple torch, has the expertise to control the eradication of these Breeds! Wait, if the Breeds are eradicated, then there won’t be any of them left to offer thanks. Better they cease to exist anyway, as maligned and horrible as they are today.

“The mutant peek should never have been allowed to win Westminter”

After such a professional opinion such as yours, using the words “peek “and “mutant”, please sign your posts with your credentials in genetics. Your education and world-recognition in this field will more than support your statement. Now that I further think through your statement, perhaps it was the “peek” crossed with a Peke that made the Breed what it is today. Perfect sense.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Pedigree Dogs Exposed was an expensive bit of marketing for the extremist AR activists who are working hard to put an end to ALL dog breeding and ALL dog (and all other animal) ownership.

And the KC is playing a dangerous appeasement game in going this route. Its first responsibility is to it’s breeders and exhibitors, not to extremist radicals whose goal is to destroy it, along with the breeders and the dogs.

• jim March 10, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I wont comment on the specifics. However, something had to be done. some of these breeds are being bread to extremes that were never intended in the breed standard. Some (not all) of the GSD’s Ive seen win can barely walk let alone work.

• Shirley March 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I wonder if these folks who are screaming that a dog or a breed should not be allowed to reproduce if they have C section to give birth – feel the same way about a human mother who has to have a section in order to have her baby or babies as is the case with quite a few woman. Maybe they should be telling them that they are not allowed to reporduce as well ?? Sounds more like Nazi Germany every day to me.

• Alison March 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The Clumber was thrown out for showing some red in the eye, breed standard clearly states they are allowed to show some haw in the eye, vet diagnosed conjunctivitis ???? how does he know that without swabbing the eye ! there was no discharge (as one would expect) no squinting either as one would expect with this condition. Unless these vets have read the standard and understand EXACTLY what is written in the KC criteria for the job they have been asked to do then there is little point having them there. The dog is a champion in 30 countries and holds every single health certificate required. Like the owner said ‘perhaps the rest of the world is crazy and only the British KC know best’
    When people enter a competition they expect the playing field to be as level for them as the next person, so if vets need to check dogs let them do it on entry and leave the judging to the judges as vets clearly do not understand the difference between the job they do and the judges, The above case proves the point. And just a little food for thought here, it took me 10 years of showin/breeding then ten years of judge training ! I could have trained to be a vet 3 times over in the time it took me to become a judge !

• Bob March 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

As a Persian breeder (yes folks I come from the other side of the fence) of over 30 years I think that what the KC is “attempting” to do is a good thing. Their fault is not having Vets that are QUALIFIED or KNOWLEDGEABLE with the breeds the they are vetting. In order for this to work they needs Vets that have firsthand working knowledge of these breeds.
    I have gone to plenty of Vets over the course of 30 years of breeding and exhibiting that have know little to nothing about the Persian breed. I am the one that had to educate them about the ins and outs of the breed.
    It will be interesting to see if there will be any litigation from the owners if the animals in question pass a subsequent health check.

• Cara Campbell, DVM March 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

A little more food for thought. What if a state(s) or country bans C-sections in dogs and cats? Can’t happen? Bet the UK didn’t think tail docking would be banned. What if vets were required to spay every bitch that needed a c-section, regardless of the breed or reason. It could happen. Some vets will ONLY do c-sections if an OHE is done at the same time.

Passing any number of required health checks and clearances DOES NOT mean other health conditions do not exist.

To Alison it’s very easy to diagnose conjunctivitis without an eye swab!

The vets that every one keeps vilifying, may be the same ones that you desperately need one day. For some reason there are still some breeders that just don’t get it. If there weren’t reproduction specialists, some breed will fail to exist or look drastically different than they do today.

Shirley, who compared this to Nazi Germany. Get real. But did you ever think what we are doing to dogs? We select who they are bred to, it’s not their choice. So for their sakes, then make good choices for them!

Cara Campbell, DVM

• Bob March 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I do not think people are vilifying the vets as much as questioning if they were knowledgeable enough about the breeds they were vetting. If you are going to DQ an animal at least have a Vet that has worked with pedigree dogs and is familiar with the breed characteristics.

I think and hope that most ethical breeders (dog or cat) would spay their female if a C Section was due to a physical problem with the animal. Sometimes things happen and you have to have a C Section on an animal that has had vaginal births before. I have had singletons that are too big too pass or kittens that have been breech and would not come out. What should have been banned was the $4500.00 I was charged by the emergency vet here in SF!

• Jon Kimes March 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM

First of all I have to say I’m getting tired or reading statements like Bulldogs didn’t look like they do today 100 years ago. Take a look at a painting by Reuben Ward Binks of dogs such as Chs. Dame Daggers and Daggers Drawn or of Dick Stone or of many other Bulldogs from 90 or more years ago and explain how these dogs are so very different than today’s Bulldog. They have been bred for large heads, wide fronts and narrow rears as long as dog shows have existed. Pekes have gotten alot more coat and a bit flatter in face over the years but they have always been brachycephalic and pear shaped – for thousands of years! In fact, recent breeders have done terrific work in breeding better set in eyes. All this histrionics about how modern breeders are careless and ruining purebred dogs is ignorant.

Health should be a primary concern for breeders just as we balance breed type, soundness and temperament. Do that for 10 or 12 generations before you instruct us on how to prioritize our breeding programs! How do all you critics think all the genetic tests available today were funded or labs can afford to offer them? Because breeders spend hundreds of dollars per litter to test for what we can. Your talk is cheap and it’s also completely useless and inaccurate..

The CONCEPT of what the Kennel Club was trying to enforce was that JUDGES should be rewarding healthy dogs. Then in vet evaluations we have the vets using torches. Off the mark. Judges don’t have torches in the ring nor can they be expected to find such things in the 3 minutes they have to evaluate any dog.

Breed health checks are already a staple for most breed clubs. The vet checks are neither representing what a judge can do in the ring nor are they the extensive observational, radiographic and DNA testing that breeders use to maintain and improve health in their chosen breed.

What the Kennel Club did was completely wrong and in no way constructive. It allowed ignorant people to slam serious dog breeders. Our work is far more difficult than you could ever imagine.

• Alison March 11, 2012 at 4:49 AM

@ Cara I do have medical training myself and you are right but you would also see discharge and the eye trying to close over, all he saw was haw as permitted in the breed standard and seen by all those judges that made it a champion 30 times over in 29 other countries where it was (in the majority of instances) vetted before it ever competed !

How sad we do not have those vets of old who’s experience taught them that they should work with breeders rather than against them, the ones that willingly shared their knowledge and experience with us all and were not too proud to know they could learn a thing or two from breeders too !

• Bodil Carlsson March 11, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Ignorant people, Jon? I think you know very well how all those genetic tests came to be. Pedigree dog breeders using inbreeding managed to amass such a number of defective genes in many breeds that research groups sprang up everywhere – it´s so much easier and quicker, you see, to identify a gene if it´s present in one dog out of three than if´s present in one human out of 10 000.
    Who funds it? The people who buy puppies, of course. The costs for genetic testing goes into the puppy price.

Ignorant people, Alison? Conjunctivitis means inflammatory irritation of the conjunctiva. It shows as redness and you can see it with your own eyes. You don´t need a swab. You don´t need to be an ophthalmologist. You don´t even need to be a vet to recognize it and realize it´s a very unpleasant condition.

Bu maybe, just maybe, you need to be one of “the Fancy” NOT to see it…?

• Alison March 11, 2012 at 5:19 AM

I am very concerned about the psychopathy of any vet that threatens to spey anything needing a C-section ????? it seriously makes me wonder about why they ever wanted to enter such a vocation, and Munchousens by Proxy is the second thought that floats through my mind when trying to digest this attitude!!!!! !
    Atitudes like this are only going to prevent animals being taken to them and possibly cause animals to suffer further. Also the severe indoctrination of vets that believe everything they are told in vet school to the extent they emerge with the attitude that all dog breeders in certain breeds must be tarred with the same brush. Lots of vets enter vetschool never even having owned a pet then emerge with this strange psychic power enabling them to see into the homes, kennels, lives and breeding programs of everyone in certain breeds !
    Some poor badly bred dissaster from a backyard breeder turns up in a rescue animal program and all of a sudden everyone at Crufts is breeding monstesr ! get a grip people for goodness sake and take a reality check !

• Lynn March 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM

There is no reality in the AR world. The true expertise of the ARAs lies in their ability to manipulate the emotions of people. The public, as well as many in the fancy have been taught to believe six impossible things before breakfast. They can’t get their heads around the idea that people who claim so loudly to love and care for animals (as they do) could possibly be planning their extinction.

Which is what the ARAs are planning, have been planning for forty years or more.

• Pamela March 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I love the Pekingese and have had them for over 40 years. I know they are overbred nowadays and too small, kennels like Alderbourne started the trend. Their welfare and ability to breathe properly are paramount.

• kayla
    kayla March 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Just a reminder that we do police our comments and will remove posts that involve name calling. We are passionate about our dogs but we are also governed by a code of ethics and sportsmanship. Let’s get back to civil.

• Craig March 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

There seem to be two camps which are very much at opposite ends of the argument and I can sympathise with both.

Being an owner of a Clumber Spaniel (that is a pet and not shown) that is very healthy dog I have experienced situations where vets have misdiagnosed things and have misconceptions because they are not familiar with the breed. Twice different vets have listened to my dogs heart and thought they heard something that was a cause for concern and when they have sought a second opinion both vets were told that because of the breed and that they have a large rib cage and lungs and the heart was fine. This has been verified by an ECG whilst the dog had an anasthetic for an operation to remove a foreign body from its stomach. One vet also asked if the dog had been given surgery for diamond eye because his eyes looked so good. The Clumber in particular is a dog that a lot of people (vets included) are not familiar with and what could be a problem in one dog may not be in another, just think of how many different breeds there are. Taking the haw as an example. A lot of Clumbers have haw showing. If you look at my dogs eyes very closely there is actually quite a lot showing but it is never inflammed always pale and healthy and you can only see it if you look very closely for it (he has never had any eye problems). On the other hand some other breeds without the ‘droopey’ eyes can have eye problems when there is only a very tiny amount of haw showing. One size does not fit all!!.

I’m not about to start banging the drum and villifying the vets, Crufts or the KC. What they are trying to achieve is absolutely what 99% of dog owners (breeders included!!) want to see and that is healthy dogs. I think the problem is that the KC have had to be seen to making a stand which means that the health checks have been brought in very quickly and enforced perhaps a little strongly without considering the issues that it would cause and this has been done at the biggest and most publicised dog show in the world. Things could have been done very differently. The checks could have been brought in earlier and undertaken initially without sanction before the disqualifications were implemented after the 6 or 12 month ‘learning period’. This would allow the breeders to see what the vets/KC benchmark was and maybe challenge and discuss this before the sanctions began. It could have been started at much smaller shows where the profile, esteem and emotions of the parties were not so great. We have to rememeber aswell that there are only 15 high profile breeds. Surely it wouldn’t have taken too much effort to discuss this in detail with the relevant breed clubs/associations and agree the criteria for the health checks specific to each breed (I don’t know if this has been done or not but i would very much doubt it from the messages that are coming out).

I think if the KC hadn’t done anything then people would have been up in arms saying that they are not seriously dealing with the problem so they had to be seen to be doing something. Basically they were between a rock and a hard place. Unfortunatley the way that this has played out has resulted in the breeders of those dogs that were disqualified feeling very angry and upset about what has happpened, being disqualified and being told that their dogs are unhealthy on THE biggest stage. The KC will feel that they had to do something and that if they didn’t that the problem wouldn’t improve. I suspect that a big wedge has been well and truly jammed in between the two camps which will mean that it could take even longer to find the common ground and get EVERYONE working towards the same goal.

Another thing I worry about is that if this argument is played out in public then the breeders will end up looking like the bad guys. You have to remember that the KC has offices, staff, press departments etc. and they can hide behind the moral stance in the argument. The breeders, who 99% will also want to see healthy dogs, are dog owners and dog showers that meet in peoples living rooms, don’t have public relations departments and are very protective of the breed that they know and love. Being protective can sometimes appear as defensive and unapprochable. Hopefully the breeders can set the emotion and anger to one side whilst the KC step down from the moral high ground so that both parties can discuss and agree the way forward.

• Janet March 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM

News flash, Craig. The breeders ALREADY look like the bad guys!

Only in the closed world of show breeders do the concerns you’re all expressing sound like anything other than full-on whining. Cowboy up and start breeding healthier dogs, y’all!

• Lynn March 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Bulletin, Janet. Breeders only look like the bad guys if you see them through the AR lens.

“Our goal is to make [the public think of] breeding [dogs and cats] like drunk driving and smoking.” Kim Sturla, former director of the Peninsula Humane Society and Western Director of Fund for Animals, stated during Kill the Crisis, not the Animals campaign and workshops, 1991

I have known for some time that this goal has been fully realized in the US.

Now it has been made clear that it has also been fully realized in the UK.

Two down. That makes the rest of the world much easier.

• Anne M. Hier March 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Extraordinary. The Newf goes Reserve Best in Show at Crufts and has a visible haw but since it is not on the 15 breed watch list – no problem. Personally, in the big picture I don’t happen to think the presence of a haw is generally significant enough to render a dog as “unhealthy.” But to throw out the Clumber, for example, which has field certificates, championships in numerous countries, certified hips and eyes, and dna check for inherited defect clearances, plus a breed standard that always called for a diamond or lozenge shaped eyelid before the KC decided they knew better – clearly makes a mockery of the whole weekend debacle that is Crufts and their purported “health clearances.”

• BernerMom March 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Not to fret, Anne. After the fact the Kennel Club has now covered that particular Breed. See below:

The original list that was in effect for 2012, had 15 breeds. Check out the new and improved list.

Of interest is the fact that breeds on the “Fit For Function Breed Watch” list that include “points of concern for special attention by judges” come from right across the KC show system: the Basset and Bloodhound, Borzoi, Irish Wolfhound and Sloughi (Hound Group); Gordon Setter, Golden and Labrador Retriever, American and Clumber Spaniel (Gundogs); Bedlington, Bull, Cesky, Irish, Norwich, Staffordshire and West Highland White Terrier (Terrier Group); Bulldog, Chow Chow, French Bulldog and Shar Pei (Utility Group); Dogue De Bordeaux, Great Dane, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, NEWFOUNDLAND, Siberian Husky and Saint Bernard (Working Group); Bearded, Rough and Smooth Collie, German Shepherd Dog, Old English Sheepdog, Pyrenean Mountain Dog and Shetland Sheepdog (Pastoral Group); Chinese Crested, Pekingese, POMERANIAN(who won Crufts 2012 Toy Group) and Pug (Toy Group).

Anyone care to speculate the loss in revenue, not to mention the cost in non-monetary form to each Breed, should these Breeds withold every entry from Crufts 2013? Equally as important, THIS MANDATE APPLIES TO ALL CHAMP SHOWS.

Now that the governing body of the Kennel Club is controlled by outside forces it is only a matter of time before all Breeds are eliminated. We will be saying “remember when” sooner than anyone can imagine.

• Lynn March 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

The camel’s nose is well and truly under the tent, and the body will soon follow.

Permission to quote you? Or do you have a url where that list can be found?

tnx …

• Amy Grattan March 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Peke’s are wonderful dogs! The comment earlier where it was described as they ‘waddle’ instead is rubbish. Mine has just climbed the stairs now charging around playing with her ball. No sign of a hint of a waddle at all! It would be interesting to know all those who are criticising peke’s and bulldogs have ever owned one, or are just jumping on the political band wagon! My pekingnese is very healthy, without breathing problems, when she has been out for a long walk, she is panting, tired and out of breath but so is my springer who joined her on the walk. I got her from a very responsible breeder, who has the highest welfare for all her animals.

• Haven March 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Your dog may be in good health but it doesn’t mean the dogs that are winning dog show are healthy. Many breeders that don’t show dogs breed for a healthy dog with a great temperament instead of a dog that just looks nice…this is the sad part of the show world

• Haven March 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

hmm where to start…I do agree that there should be more to a dog show other than the dog appearing to be the best dog to look like it’s breed standard. I do agree that they should also be healthy and sound (of mind and body) I think dogs should be checked BEFORE the show and not after winning. Not fair for that dog or other dogs that lost in that group if the dog gets disqualified after winning.There’s way too many breeds of dogs that are winning shows but cannot even do the job their breed was designed for because of health issues.

• Michael Smith March 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I have to say that I suspect that a great deal of the problem caused by the KC’s decision is down to the fact that unlike most kennel clubs in the world, it’s a British institution, and membership is by invitation. You pay your show entries, registration fees & everything else but you are NOT a member.

Therefor the club really isn’t that bothered if you’re a bit cheesed with them as you can’t turn up at an AGM and make a noise. (But we’ll keep taking your funds , thanks.)

Has anyone ever asked a pampered pooch whether it would prefer 10 or so years of life, medical attention, and a couple of square meals a day in a heated home, or to live in a dark underground hole and have to out to catch dinner and risk injury?

And they never got an answer if they did, of course!

Yes I’m anthropomorphising -but I suspect no more so than the majority of the extremists on here!

Life expectancy in the first case is almost double that for wild dogs & wolves, who have to endure the second case!

Just my opinion.

• Sandra March 14, 2012 at 7:06 AM

As all of us breeders are interested in our dogs being healthy and live long, active lives, I don’t see how anyone serious in the business can be oppossed to a simple health test. I would think a dog should be able to walk, run, see, hear, breathe and give birth as nature intended; doesn’t seem much to ask, does it? And who else than a vet should we trust to perform this health check, the same vet who we trust with our dogs’ health??