Breaking News         Delaware Water Gap KC     12/14/2014     Best In Show Judge: Anne Katona     Best In Show: GCH Telltale American Ride     Granite City KC Of St. Cloud, Minnesota (2)     12/14/2014     Best In Show Judge: Barbara Dempsey Alderman     Best In Show: Daykeyne Eatin My Cake Too     Lehigh Valley KC     12/13/2014     Best In Show Judge: Betty-Anne Stenmark     Best In Show: GCH Telltale American Ride     Granite City KC Of St. Cloud, Minnesota     12/13/2014     Best In Show Judge: Dr. Dana Ann Smith Massey     Best In Show: GCH Dejavu I Want'A Talk About Me     Medina KC     12/12/2014     Best In Show Judge: Mr. Howard M. Yost     Best In Show: GCH Brisbane N Blue Monday's Diamonds Are Decadent     Agility – Prioritizing Whole Dog Health The Dogs of Ronald Reagan AKC/Eukanuba National Championship by Diana Hahn The AKC Family Just Got Larger! Tricky Ricky Wins World Challenge

My Favorite Things – A Floor Mat that Works

Keeping happy housedogs along with a clean house can seem like mutually exclusive propositions.

When the previous owners updated the kitchen of our circa 1920s house, I don’t think they considered the impact a couple of active dogs would have on the renovation. Although the improvements helped to transform the room from an old-school canteen into a functional space that is light and airy, our dogs seem unimpressed.

The kitchen is certainly welcoming enough, even for the dogs. A small seating area provides a place where they can catch a few winks, and a large window gives them an unobstructed view of the town’s bike path.

We appreciate the new hardware and countertops that enhance the original cabinets, and the contemporary lighting and stainless steel appliances that bring the room into the 21st century. Altogether it’s not a bad place to sit down for dinner.

Only one area gives us a problem where the dogs are concerned: the impossibly light, bright flooring.

The floor of our kitchen is a rolled vinyl sheet with a 9-inch-by-9-inch tile pattern. The “tiles” are off-white in color and the “grout” is only a shade or two darker. The floor seemed tidy enough at first, but its deficiencies became obvious the first time the dogs walked through the room with muddy feet.

A rainy day transforms our kitchen floor into a patchwork pattern of paw prints. Photo © by Robert Adrian Hillman/Dreamstime.com.

A door leads from the kitchen directly to the backyard. Its location is certainly convenient for letting the dogs outside, but every time it rains or snows, the nice white kitchen floor is transformed into a patchwork pattern of paw prints.

Initially, we simply used a damp mop to clean up the mess, but this proved impossible to keep up. We tried using towels to wipe the dogs’ feet at the door, but this too became a chore after a few days of heavy rain. Various doormats were purchased, for both indoor and out, but none were able to remove enough of the mud and water that the dogs always seemed to track through the kitchen.

Then I went to a dog show where I was introduced to a floor mat that actually works.

Under the shade of a pop-up tent, a vendor demonstrated with ease how his floor mat removes up to 95 percent of the dirt and grime from our shoes and our dog’s feet.

The man’s presentation consisted of his leaving footprints on a clean white sheet of paper after he’d just stepped into a dishpan of dirty water. He repeated this process a second time, only now he stepped onto his floor mat before leaving his mark on another sheet of paper. This time, the paper remained almost completely clean and dry, and all I could imagine was a nice, white kitchen floor!

The Dirt Trapper floor mat instantly became one of my favorite things.

As the salesman explained it to me, the mat’s surface is made of micro fibers that are so absorbent, just a few steps across it removes nearly all traces of water and debris. A synthetic latex backing prevents leakage to the surface below, so it’s even safe to use on hardwood floors.

Sold in two sizes, 20-by-30 inches and 30-by-50 inches, the Dirt Trapper can easily be cut into any size or shape.

One of the things I like about this mat is that it’s so thin. It fits under every door in any room of the house. It’s also machine-washable, and placing it in the dryer only increases its ability to absorb.

Although my mat did shed a bit the first few times it was washed, this hasn’t affected its ability to perform as expected. Our dogs happily come and go through the back door, and the kitchen floor remains clean and dry.

Finding a floor mat that really works should be part of every kitchen renovation.

Dan Sayers started “in dogs” through a chance encounter with a Springer Spaniel in 1980. A student of dogs ever since, he’s shown Spaniels and Hounds in the conformation ring and breeds Irish Water Spaniels under the Quiet Storm prefix. A dog lover with a passion for the creative arts, Dan has worked as a freelance writer, photographer and illustrator for many years. His feature articles and columns have appeared in Dogs in Review, Dog World and the AKC Gazette, and his design work has appeared in dozens of publications in North America and abroad. An interest in all things “dog” brought Dan to Best In Show Daily, where he gets to work with the most dynamic group of fanciers every day. He lives in Merchantville, New Jersey, with his partner, Rudy Raya, Irish Water Spaniel, Kurre, and the memory of Oscar, a once-in-a-lifetime Sussex Spaniel.
Comments
  • kate June 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Where can we buy these amazing mats?

• Dan Sayers
      Dan Sayers June 26, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hi Kate,

I found my Dirt Trapper floor mat at a show in New Jersey. An online search should help you find a distributor.

You’re just days away from clean floors!

Dan

• Loleder July 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM

OK, I have to come clean. Yes, I painted it as floor mat, to be waelkd on……but I haven’t had the guts to use it yet. I keep using the excuse that it’s going to go into the new bathroom that we’re adding onto our house. But secretly, I’m happy that the bathroom is taking longer to finish than we anticipated.

• Pat Hoffmann June 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Yes Dan were can we buy one of these. Looks like there are lots of different companies. Which one is the one you like?

• Dan Sayers
      Dan Sayers June 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Hi Pat,

I found my Dirt Trapper locally in New Jersey. It is charcoal and was made in the UK. It really works!

Dan

• Vickie June 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Between my coated dogs, the rescue dogs, Colorado snows and my hardwood floors, perhaps I can ditch the towels, paper towels and chasing after a soppy, wet dog!

• dedeselph
    Dede Selph June 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Dan – I need one of these at every door! Where can we find them?

Dede

• deb munyan June 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Dan, please provide more specific info for these great mats. Who is the manufacturer, does it look like carpet pile, are they made in USA or elsewhere, etc? I googled dirt trapper floor mats & came up w/ a host of possibilites.

• Dan Sayers
      Dan Sayers June 27, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Hi Deb,

The Dirt Trapper mats are made in the UK. They have a very low pile height that really seems to do the trick…

Dan

• Adair Toddes June 27, 2012 at 3:59 AM

We have Labs. Our “can’t live without:” item is our Roomba, the robotic vacuum that runs by itself. It cleans up what the dogs bring in plus what they shake off!! Every Lab should come with one!

• C. Marshall July 13, 2012 at 5:58 AM

I really need one of those for my garage! Not only for me but my kids. I do have the industrial mat from WellnessMats, but that is mostly for comfort at my workbench.

• Ade July 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

…your wife isn’t the only one who’d want something like that on the floor. I would too, after seenig something like that! It’s another ‘Oh lord’ and it’s -beautiful-. I love the BUBBLES. They are so real, and that little frog just caps it off. As for the fish…mmmmmmmm. Love the fish!I’m still working on that kimono project with the pine trees and snow. I got ahh…distracted. By chainmaille jewellery!–Shuku-Now- distracted by writing songs for friend’s album launch. AUGH!

• Anne Marie Kubacz September 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM

We have these Dirt Trapper Mats everywhere—in our newly constructed kennel, at every entrance of our house, in the RV and in our box truck. They are simply amazing! When dogs come in from showing in the mud and the rain, they walked to their crates and their feet are DRY when they get there! We keep a spare one in the truck for those really rainy days.
    I gave them as Christmas presents to our friends last year and they are all converts.
    They are pricey but well worth it. Our original ones are over 3 years old and have held up great. You do need to vaccuum them at first, and they work better with each washing; as Dan said in the article they do shed. and great news, there now come in 3 sizes, the two Dan listed and a runner that fits great in front of crates in a van or a box truck.
    If you live near the Big E, there is a vendor in the Better Living area that is selling them at the fair now. There is usually a vendor at Philadelphia shows that sells them and at the New Brunwick/Bronx March Madness shows.
    If you cannot find them, email me privately and I will give you their location.

• Sandy Mesmer, about-small-dogs.com September 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM