Breaking News         Terre Haute KC     04/17/2014     Best In Show Judge: Ms. Theresa Hundt     Best In Show: CH Woodsides Megabucks     Conejo KC     04/17/2014     Best In Show Judge: Mrs. Jeannette McGinnis     Best In Show: GCH Topaz Bad Action     Rhode Island KC (2)     04/13/2014     Best In Show Judge: Mrs. Gale Young     Best In Show: GCH Sonnus Filho (Sanchez)     Mason And Dixon KC     04/13/2014     Best In Show Judge: Mr. James Reynolds     Best In Show: GCH Sporting Fields Shameless     Northeast Oklahoma KC (2)     04/13/2014     Best In Show Judge: Mrs. Anne Savory Bolus     Best In Show: CH Philmar Superman     Demystifying Dysplasias – Black Russian Terrier Study Aging Research Goes To the Dogs AKC Museum of the Dog: Sculptor Louise Peterson’s ‘Chickadee’ ‘It’s Business As Usual’ Promises Eukanuba After P&G Announces Departure From Pet Care Industry As The Wheels Turn

My Favorite Things – Bred-by-Exhibitor Medallions

Showing in the Bred-by-Exhibitor class used to be “the thing” when an exhibitor had something they were really proud to present to the fancy. It still is an important class at specialty shows, and especially at the National Specialty, but I’ve noticed in recent years that at the typical all-breed show, the entry in Bred-by is not usually as strong as in the Open class, and sometimes not even as strong as the Puppy classes. Still, for many breeders nothing makes them more proud than winning from this class.

Recently when unpacking a box of pictures and mementos, I came across the first “Breeder Owner Champion” medallion I received from AKC. I won it with a Toy Poodle bitch, Ch. Foxfire Once In A Blue Moon. ‘Olive’ was, in my opinion, one of the best Toys I’ve bred, a typey little blue bitch who finished in puppy trim back in 2001. She finished with three majors and a Best of Variety win over specials.

The first medallion I won for finishing one of my Toy Poodles from Bred-by.

Prior to receiving the medallion in the mail after Olive finished, I frankly wasn’t even aware that AKC awarded these medallions to dogs that are finished by earning all of their points from the Bred-by class. It was such a nice surprise.

AKC began awarding these medallions in May 1996. In addition to the breeder/owner-handlers of conformation champions that finish from Bred-by, AKC awards them to every dog that becomes an obedience, lure-coursing, herding or field champion if all points are earned when the dog is owned or co-owned by its breeder.

Truthfully, had I been aware of this program, I probably would have always entered my dogs in Bred-by, but on occasion I showed them in the Puppy class when they were very young.

Today AKC offers an even more appealing incentive to show and finish our dogs from Bred-by. Beginning in 2008, breeder/owner-handlers of five champions finished from BBE, each of which will have received an original Bred-by medallion, get a silver medallion, and those who finish 10 champions receive a gold medallion, each inscribed on the back with the number of champions finished.

AKC awards additional medallions for breeder/owner-handlers who finish five, and then 10, champions from Bred-by-Exhibitor.

I think that of all the incentives AKC offers its exhibitors, this is among the most special. I really appreciate the recognition this offers to breeders. I suspect there are quite a few successful breeders out there who’ve accumulated many of these medallions!

AKC sends out the medallions quarterly, in January, April, July and October. In 2013 alone, 389 individuals were awarded the silver medallion and 136, the gold. All breeder/owner-handlers who’ve received the silver and gold medallions are listed on the AKC website. I’m guessing that many more would be awarded if more exhibitors were aware of this special recognition.

Christi McDonald is a second-generation dog person, raised with a kennel full of Cairn Terriers. After more than a decade as a professional handler’s apprentice and handling professionally on her own, primarily Poodles and Cairns, she landed a fortuitous position in advertising sales with the monthly all-breed magazine ShowSight. This led to an 11-year run at Dogs in Review, where she wore several hats, including advertising sales rep, ad sales manager and, finally, editor for five years. Christi is proud to be part of the editorial team for the cutting-edge Best In Show Daily. She lives in Apex, N.C., with two homebred black Toy Poodles, the last of her Foxfire line, and a Norwich Terrier.

12 Comments to “My Favorite Things – Bred-by-Exhibitor Medallions”

1. Sylvie McGee says:

My pups go straight into the Bred By class at 6 months and however many days to the first show for which they are eligible. It still needles me that my lovely heart bitch Luna missed the medallion because of her puppy points, before I realized I could just put her straight into the BBX class.

I can’t imagine putting dogs that are good enough for me to keep and want to show in any other class!

Sylvie McGee
    HeavenScent Bassets
    Olympia WA

• Edy says:

I just finished a boy from the Bred By Class in 3 show weekends with 4 majors and a group 2, I am proud to show my dogs in Bred By

• corgimom says:

had a judge tell me my puppy was not mature enough to be in the bred by class and should be in the puppy class instead!

2. Sandy says:

I proudly show all my dogs only in BBE.

3. Tai Nelson says:

I love showing my dogs in BBE… Though some people have told me I shouldn’t. And that I should put them in their age appropriate classes.. That sometimes you have an axe over your head when you do BBE classes. I have yet to feel that axe but I haven’t been out there full time. And even so I don’t think I would change. I am newer to showing my dogs myself and love learning and doing this.

4. silhouette says:

I have always shown my bred bys in BBE, except one male puppy who I put in puppy a few times to make sure judges knew he was a puppy. He won a point or two and then I moved him to BBE as I thought he wouldn’t look as out of place as I thought, and now I lament that I can’t get another medallion for his CH. But I still show him in BBE even though there is no medallion at stake, because I’ve always thought it might reflect well on some judges that yes, *I* bred this dog. (especially as I started showing in BBE when I was 21 with my first bred by puppy, I thought they might say well isn’t that nice, a young girl who BRED this nice dog! LOL)

5. Lutease says:

There are several dffierent reputable registries out there. AKC may be the most well know, but it is by far not the greatest. There is the ADBA (very reputable), UKC. The CKC (Continental, not Canadian is a joke registry.) FCI, a rare breed registry.Here are some breeds off the top of my head not recognized by the AKC.American Pit Bull Terrier (recognized by the UKC and ADBA)Fila Brasilerio (mainly FCI, can be CKC among others)American BulldogBelgian LaekenoisCoton De TulearPatterdale TerrierOlde English BulldogMiniature Australian ShepherdSloughiThai RidgebackTosa InuAlapaha Blue Blood BulldogThere are probably hundreds more not recognized by the AKC.They’re not recognized by the AKC because there may not be sufficient interest in the country for the breed, the breed club also has to meet AKC requirements to be considered.EDIT: CHAOS, I looked up the Catalburun, very interesting dogs.

6. Eunhee says:

A reputable bredeer usually does not breed those 10 females. Some will be too young to breed and are working on their championships. and growing out until they are 2 years old and can be tested. Some of those may fail and not be bred at all. Usually a good bredeer will retire a female at 5 or 6 years of age. And will not breed every heat. So at most usually they will only get 3 maybe 4 litters if that many from each female before they are retired. Many bredeers breed even less. So some of those 10 females are retired and having no more puppies. So considering, this bredeer has 10 females. and the breed lives to 15 years old.1-2 dogs will be too young3-4 dogs will be breeding age4-6 dogs will be retired.Plus it is very expensive to breed good quality dogs. See some of the other posts to get an idea of the costs.

7. Amarjeet says:

There are a whole lot of breeds that are unable to be registered with the AKC. It doesn’t mean they are not a breed. In fact, some are very ancient breeds.For instance: Cirneco dell’Etna, Coton de Tulear, Lagotto Romagnolo. Mudi, Icelandic Sheepdog, German Pinscher. These are all very ancient breeds, but not recognized with the AKC because there are simply not enough number in the U.S. It doesn’t mean there not a breed. On the other hand, breeds like the Miniature Australian Shepherd, there is some controversy over and will not be AKC recognized. If your looking for a responsible breeder for “rare breed”, you would have to do a lot of research. See if they have a breed club and start from there. You may even have to purchase the dog outside of the U.S.My agility instructor purchased her Mudi’s in Hungary.

8. Deb Eldredge, D.V.M. Deb E says:

I was thrilled when my daughter & I co-bred our first litter (I had been in the breed 28 yrs). My goal right from the start was to finish my boy from BBE. He did so at 8 months of age – the first boy (barely – by one day :) to finish in the litter. His sister who my daughter kept finished her first wknd out at 6 plus months of age with 3 five pt majors from BBE. I considered it a huge honor to be able to show in BBE & to finish my boy from there. I also did not feel it was in any way a problem having my puppy in the class (often with older males) or not showing in the puppy classes. And obviously the judges we showed to looked at the dogs themselves.

9. Mark Francis Jaeger says:

Even though it puts our puppies at a bit of a disadvantage, Karin and I have always entered our homebred Griffons in BBE. As a result, though we often go two (or even three) years between producing litters, we are among those fortunate enough to have finished more than 10 BBE champions since the program began. This program may explain why, when I judged the Griffon National a few years back, I found my WD, WB and RWB in those classes.

10. Joan G says:

Bred by is “where it’s at” for me! This is why I breed.