Record-Breaking Entry of Nearly 4,000 Conformation Competitors at 11th Annual AKC/Eukanuba National Championship
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Dogs from 50 States and More Than 45 Countries Vie for $225,000 at the Largest Dog Show in the Country
Event Broadcast airs on ABC Network Television Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012
A record 3,938 dogs will compete for more than $225,000 in cash prizes at the eleventh annual AKC/Eukanuba National Championship (AENC) on December 17 and 18, 2011 in Orlando, Florida. The two-day event is held in conjunction with the AKC Agility Invitational, the AKC National Obedience Invitational (with entries of 592 and 146 respectively including our first-ever All-American Dogs), the Juniors events (159 conformation + 47 obedience + 50 agility entries) and the Eukanuba World Challenge (44 participants), making for a record-breaking combined entry of 4,976 for all events.
“We’re thrilled to welcome everyone to the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship. Not only is it the largest invitation-only dog show in our history, but it is the largest dog show in the country this year,” said Show Chairman Ron Menaker. “This unique event enables AKC to reach out to the public in unprecedented ways to promote the sport and educate families about dogs.”
The Orange County Convention Center will also host several local kennel club dog shows in the days leading up to the main event. The Space Coast Kennel Club of Palm Bay, Brevard Kennel Club and Central Florida Kennel Club shows will precede the AENC on Dec. 14-16, 2011, making for five full days of dog shows.
AKC/EUKANUBA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BY THE NUMBERS
- 173 AKC recognized breeds are entered to compete.
- The largest entries include:
- 64 Boston Terriers
- 61 Vizslas
- 58 French Bulldogs
- 57 Rhodesian Ridgebacks
- 56 Retrievers (Labrador)
- 51 Australian Shepherds
- 50 Havanese
- 50 Retrievers (Golden)
- 48 Dachshunds (Longhaired)
- 46 Rottweilers
- 45 Pugs
- 44 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
- 44 Border Collies
- The newest breeds to compete include:
- 3 American English Coonhounds
- 5 Entlebucher Mountain Dogs
- 9 Finnish Lapphunds
- 8 Cesky Terriers
- 11 Norwegian Lundehunds
- 12 Xoloitzcuintli
- All 14 AKC Miscellaneous Breeds will be represented.
- More than 130 “Veterans” (between 7 & 12 years old) are entered.
- AKC Meet the Breeds® will feature 166 breeds at decorated booths staffed by experts. (Sat. & Sun. from 10 am to 4 pm)
- By group, entry totals are: Sporting – 637; Hound – 526; Working – 605; Terrier – 441; Toy – 527; Non-Sporting – 469, Herding – 491 and Miscellaneous – 68
- Dogs from 44 countries will compete in the Eukanuba World Challenge including Mexico, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. The Eukanuba World Challenge is a one-of-a-kind event offering top dogs from around the world, and the winner of the Eukanuba Breeders’ Stakes, the opportunity to compete for the title of “Eukanuba World Challenge Champion” and a total of $15,000 in prize money.
- Judge Mrs. Polly Smith of St. Stephens Church, Virginia will select the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Best in Show (BIS) winner. The owner(s) of the BIS winner will receive more than $50,000 while the breeder(s) of the Best in Show winner will be awarded $15,000.
- Mr. James Reynolds of Nepean, Ontario, Canada will select Best Bred-By Exhibitor in Show from among 1,328 dogs (35% of the total entry) entered in the Bred-by-Exhibitor (dogs being shown by their owner/breeder) competition, who will be eligible to win the $15,000 cash prize. Same-day streaming video coverage of all regular and bred-by groups and evening events will be provided on akc.org.
- 159 youngsters, ages 9-17, who have met high academic standards and qualification criteria based on year-round competition, will compete in Junior Showmanship.
- Mrs. Zena Thorn Andrews, also a renowned breeder/judge of Dachshunds, will replace Tamas Jakkel to judge Dachshunds (Longhaired).
- Ms. Carla M.S. Molinari will judge Sari Brewster Tietjen’s entire assignment.
AGILITY AND OBEDIENCE INVITATIONALS BY THE NUMBERS
- 592 entries in the AKC Agility Invitational – 157 breeds from 46 states. Eukanuba and J & J Dog are proud sponsors of the AKC Agility Invitational.
- 146 entries in the AKC National Obedience Invitational – 55 breeds from 33 states and Canada. Eukanuba and J & J Dog are proud sponsors of the AKC National Obedience Invitational.
- 50 Juniors competing at the AKC National Juniors Agility Competition on Friday, Dec. 16th (8 am to 11 am).
- 48 Juniors competing at the AKC National Juniors Obedience Competition on Saturday, Dec. 17th (8 am to 3 pm).
- 9 All-American Dogs competing in Agility and 6 in Obedience.
To purchase tickets and get more information about the show visit www.akc.org/aenc.
To receive daily updates and show results via Facebook, visit www.facebook.com/aenc and www.facebook.com/americankennelclub.