Now that the first major milestones of the show season are in the record books, a clearer picture of our 2013 leaders is emerging. Here are a couple of interesting data points. Although points overall are down by about 12 percent this year over 2012, our Number One Dog’s share of the points is up by 18 percent. At this point last year, our Top Ten Dogs All Breeds had accumulated just over 150,000 points. This year the leaders come in at just under 126,000, However, our Number One, the Wire Fox Terrier, GCH CH AfterAll Painting the Sky, has over 22,000 points through yesterday. At the same juncture last year, the Doberman Pinscher, GCH CH Protocol’s Veni Vidi Vici, was leading the field with just under 19,000.
Last year, our Top Five were a chummy bunch with just 4,500 points separating Number One from Number Five. This year our current Number Five Dog, the American Foxhound, GCH CH Kiarry’s Pandora’s Box, trails our Number One Dog by almost 10,000 points. Nonetheless, rankings are especially volatile during the first quarter of the year, and a quick look at the above chart reveals two things. While our Number One Dog still enjoys a substantial lead over the pack, her lead has lessened significantly over the last month. The rest of the field remains locked in tight competition with the dogs behind them. That is especially true in the bottom half of our Top Ten.
For those of you not familiar with the call names of our Top Ten, here are the current Top Ten Dogs All Breeds through March 21, 2013 based on Dog Show Poop’s estimates.
1. The Wire Fox Terrier, GCH CH AfterAll Painting the Sky
2. The Miniature Pinscher, GCH CH Marlex Classic Red Glare
3. The German Wirehaired Pointer, GCH CH Mt View’s Ripsnorter Silver Charm
4. The Portuguese Water Dog, GCH CH Claircreek Impression de Matisse
5. The American Foxhound, GCH CH Kiarry’s Pandora’s Box
6. The Clumber Spaniel, GCH CH Clussexx Collaboration with Traddles
7. The Russell Terrier, GCH CH Goldsands Columbus
8. The Standard Schnauzer, GCH CH Blackhawk Finnegan’s Wake
9. The Doberman Pinscher, GCH CH Protocol’s Veni Vidi Vici
10. The Rottweiler, GCH CH Chancellor Flirt’s Hi Flyin’ Gladiator
Remember, my current numbers are based, in part, on my estimates of actual dogs competing over the last week. While my overall estimates have been accurate to within 0.5 percent over the last five seasons, I make no claim to infallibility. These numbers are provided just for your entertainment and nowhere online will you find more entertaining and informative articles on the show scene than here on Best In Show Daily and over on my site, Dog Show Poop. And that’s today’s Back Story.